“For a warm and dewy look, use bronzing mousse instead of powder.”
Bollywood stars, believe it or not, are regular women like you. Yes they may look like goddesses, but they too like to ‘travel light’ when it comes to make-up. Bollywood leading lady and undisputed Number 1 Bollywood bride of 2012, Kareena Kapoor is a perfect example.
Kareena receives a lot of criticism from the press about her signature ‘panda-eye’ heavy top to bottom eye liner. She admirably ignores the critics and stays true to a signature look that she feels comfortable with.
Contrary to what most people think, Kareena’s make-up looks are not always based on heavy contouring and eyeliner. DESIblitz have rounded up some of our favourite ‘alternative’ Kareena looks for you to try your hand at.
Kareena Look One
This is the most striking Kareena look. Shot for Vogue India, Kareena is almost bare-faced, and there is no eyeliner in sight.
It’s a beautiful look that showcases her natural bone structure.
The only make-up applied is a light foundation to even out skin tone, and a nude lip colour. This make-up gives a wide-awake summer-fresh look.
The added bonus of no touch-ups means that you can spend more time enjoying your day to day acivities.
Estimated prep time: 3 minutes
Kareena Look Two
Kareena shows us a new way to rock heavy liner. Start with a flawless base, with soft blusher as a contour.
Keep eyelids bare, with a solid gel liner applied with flat-eyeliner brush. Line the lower waterline with a white kohl pencil to highlight the eyes further.
For a more wearable day look, either skip the white liner altogether or use a flesh coloured liner, like Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl in Taupe or Nude.
As the eyes are the focal point, she has kept lips simple with a nude lip colour.
Estimated prep time: 10 minutes
Kareena Look Three
This make-up look is a gorgeous summer Asian rose look.
A sheer foundation and soft blush give Kareena a natural rosy glow.
She is wearing a coat of mascara, and has lined the upper waterline to highlight the eyes, which are otherwise bare.
Her soft pink lip colour finishes off her fresh-faced natural look.
Estimated prep time: 10 minutes
Get the Kareena Kapoor look
One of DESIblitz favourite Kareena looks is this beautiful two-tone colourful eye look. Here Kareena takes a break from kohl-rimmed eyes, and shows how to work sophisticated colourful eyes.
Estimated prep time: 20 minutes
Here is how to re-create Kareena’s amazing look for yourself:
- Prepare & prime your skin with moisturiser/primer.
- Apply light coverage foundation, like Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel. Starting from the centre of the face and blending outwards. Apply small amounts each time, so that you only add product where you need it.
- Cover any imperfections with concealer, rather than adding more foundation. For summertime, less is more.
- Dust face with translucent powder to set the foundation/ concealer.
- Apply cream eye shadow in a neutral shade all over the eyelids. This will help the powder shadows stay in place. MAC paint pot in Groundwork was used here, but any neutral shade will suffice.
- Take a purple powder shadow and apply all over the lid with a flat eye shadow brush. The Illamasqua Paranormal eye palette works well here, as it has a cream-to-powder finish and the quad features purple, green, pink, and orange shades.
- Take a small smudge brush (or a cotton bud) and apply green powder shadow under the eyes. Start from outer edge and work inwards, stopping about two –thirds along.
- Apply any black shadow to the outer corners of the eyelid, and blend into the purple shadow. Think Fifty Shades of Black. Urban Decay has a range of black shadows, either as standalone shades (Urban Decay Deluxe Shadows) or within one of their three Naked, Palettes.
- Use the remaining black shadow on the brush to line the outer-third of the lower lash line, blending with the green shadow.
- Apply a shimmery highlighter, like Bobbi Brown Longwear Cream Shadow in Sand Dollar on the under-eye from inner corner until it meets the green shadow liner.
- Apply water-resistant cream concealer under the eyes to neutralise any dark circles. Set with translucent face powder. Using water-resistant concealer will ensure that it stays in place, even on warmer days.
- Fill in brows with a soft brow pencil, like Topshop Brow pencil in Spike and brush through to soften the look. If you have good brows, you can skip this step.
- Curl lashes and add a coat of mascara.
- Add a soft pink blusher to outer edge of cheekbones, to contour slightly. Kareena often wears heavy contouring, but a lighter contour is fresher for 2013.
- Apply a nude pink or peach lip colour to lips. Finish with a dab of gloss in the centre of lips.
Tips for Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter 2013 make-up
- If you don’t want to buy separate A/W and S/S foundations, improvise. Add moisturiser to your full cover A/W foundations and hey presto, you’ve got sheer coverage for S/S.
- Celebrity makeup artist Julie Harris (her clients include Eva Mendes) says that Summer 2013 is all about radiance. Her top tip? “For a warm and dewy look, use bronzing mousse instead of powder.”
- Yes, it is okay for Asian women to wear bronzer, just follow celebrity make-up artist Lan Nguyen’s advice: “Use it to contour only under the cheekbones. If you want to add colour to your skin apply a tinted moisturiser or bronzing gel or even fake tan. Sweep a little blusher on to the cheeks.”
- Swap smokey eye for pastels. Keep colours light and fresh. Not sure which colours work well together? Take inspiration from nature and ‘borrow’ colour combinations from your favourite summertime flowers.
When it comes to finding make-up inspirations, it’s key to find out what works best for your skin tone and features. Of course, with tutorials of Bollywood beauties like Kareena Kapoor, looking effortlessly glamourous has never been so easy.