Whatever your skin concerns, these DIY skin treatments are the simplest way of getting clearer and radiant skin.
Many Asian women enjoy a healthy lifestyle thanks to their traditional diets. Not only do these natural homemade remedies keep them healthy on the inside but they also help them look great on the outside.
If you want to know the secret of how Asian women achieve flawless skin, you’d have to look back on centuries-old beauty secrets that have been passed on through generations. Even today, we still embrace the continent’s rich beauty conventions.
Take advantage of that knowledge with ingredients you might already have in your kitchen cabinet. Most of them have antioxidants that help in slowing down the ageing process to create younger and smoother looking skin.
Although these ingredients may seem like items from our Desi grandma’s recipe book, nothing gives you the glow that these natural ingredients can on your skin. Thanks to our grandmas and their useful ‘totkas’, these homemade remedies work wonders.
Whatever your skin concerns, these DIY (Do It Yourself) skin treatments are the simplest way of getting clearer and radiant skin.
DESIblitz presents the most commonly used ingredients at home that can be added to your simple daily skin care routine.
Lemon and Oranges
Lemon and oranges contain a high amount of vitamin C. These citrus fruits act as an antioxidant. They also fight free radicals that cause skin darkening.
The acids that are found in lemon encourage exfoliation by sloughing away the outer layers of the dead cells, thus improving the production of new cells.
- Slice the lemon in half, rub the juicy side on the face avoiding the eyes.
- Dry the orange peels in the sun for two to three days.
- Once they become almost crisp, grind them till they turn into powder.
- Mix one tablespoon of this powder with the yoghurt till you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your skin (after cleansing it) and keep it on for about 15-20 minutes.
Caution: While using acidic homemade remedies, please be aware of any open wound, injury or cut.
Yoghurt contains lactic acid that usually helps dissolve dead cells and tighten the pores. The remedies for using this product are good for all skin types.
- Gently rub yoghurt on the surface of your skin.
- Leave it on for around 10 minutes and then wash the yoghurt off.
- Do this once a day for a month and start feeling your complexion improve.
Honey is an important component in clearing the skin while at the same time acting as a moisturising agent. Honey also has antibacterial properties that help age spots and acne scars to fade.
Uneven skin tone is due to the drying up of the skin and this remedy also helps to remove dead skin cells, making the skin appear brighter and fresher.
- Honey should be applied on the face, leaving it on for a few minutes and washing the residue off with warm water.
- The process should be repeated once a day.
Aloe Vera diminishes hyperpigmentation and creates a brighter and smoother skin complexion overnight.
The cooling effect of aloe vera helps repair damaged skin tissues and rebuilding new cells for smoother skin.
- Cut the outer layers of an aloe vera leaf.
- Squeeze out the thick, jelly-like substance.
- Apply the gel thoroughly on your skin.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
- Do this at least twice daily for two weeks for an effective outcome.
Fresh papaya is not only tasty to eat but is also excellent when it comes to its benefits for the skin.
It contains enzymes such as papain and alpha hydroxy acids that have the ability to dissolve dead cells and remove impurities, leading to glowing skin.
- Mash the papaya pulp into a smooth paste and apply to your cleansed skin.
- Leave this on for 20 minutes and rinse it off with normal water.
- Apply this daily for faster results.
Gram flour or ‘Besan’ is a very popular ingredient used in beauty remedies.
It is an integral part of Desi traditions such as weddings where it is used as a pre-wedding grooming treatment. This is also known as ‘ubtan’.
Besan removes excess oils and leaves behind just enough oil to keep the skin moist. Not only does it lighten the complexion, but gram flour also keeps blackheads at bay.
The natural exfoliating properties of gram flour remove dead skin and encourage new cell production thus, helping to clear skin.
If you want to glow like a Desi bride, then make your own ubtan and apply daily.
- Make a fine paste out of two tablespoons of gram flour and some rose water.
- Add in rose water until a thick paste is formed.
- Later rub this all over your face and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
- Use it thrice a week before going to sleep.
In Desi culture, haldi or turmeric holds a special place of honour. In Indian weddings, this wonderful ingredient has an entire ceremony to its name. The Haldi ceremony – can you guess the reason why?
Turmeric is a strong antioxidant that also has antiseptic properties. It helps in cleansing the skin of impurities that can cause an uneven skin tone and hyperpigmentation.
- Make a paste by mixing turmeric powder with milk cream.
- Apply it on the skin and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face and neck with lukewarm water.
- You can also mix turmeric powder, gram flour and lemon juice using one teaspoonful each.
- Make a paste and apply the mask to the face and leave for 20 minutes.
- Scrub off the mask and wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice a week for the best outcome.
Milk is a traditional way to brighten your complexion without having to use chemicals, especially when applied to specific parts of the skin.
The lactic acid found in milk can gradually diminish the skin pigmentation leading to a brighter complexion.
This is a great homemade remedy to alleviate sunburnt or irritated skin.
- Gently massage lukewarm milk onto your skin for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process twice a day for two weeks.
- While you’re at it, pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!
Oatmeal is not only a refreshing start of the day as a mouth-watering, healthy breakfast, it has a lot to offer for your skin as well.
The grainy texture of oats makes it a wonderful natural scrub but also helps for different skin types in the form of a skin brightening oatmeal face pack.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 ½ tablespoons of milk.
- Apply to discoloured skin, massaging in circles for 1 minute, and leave on until dry.
- Rinse with warm water followed by cold water and pat dry.
- Repeat once a week.
The scrubbing motion with the baking soda powder will remove dead cells and kill the bacteria present on the skin.
Baking soda mixed with water will give many amazing results that include an even skin tone.
- Add 2 parts of baking soda in 1 part of water and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and massage gently.
- Let it sit for few minutes till it dries.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times a week till you get rid of uneven skin tone.
Now that you know how to brighten your skin naturally at home, give it a try. Just keep in mind that different skin tones respond at different rates to different treatments.
If there are any other skin brightening tips and homemade remedies that you know, do share them with us!
NB: Please beware if you suffer from allergies or skin irritation. Consult your doctor or GP before using any of the treatments above.