An inexpensive way to maintain radiant skin without booking yourself into a spa.
What if you could bring spa-like facial treatment to your very home, without the expensive produce? Well, homemade Desi face masks are the answer.
Low cost natural homemade facial remedies are the best in helping to keep your skin looking fresh and feeling smoother!
Ultimately to maintain a regular facial skincare regime, drinking plenty of water, wearing sun protection and getting enough sleep will suffice for a vibrant and fresh make-up-less face.
Good skin is all about a regime that works well for your skin type. Using natural ingredients without the harmful chemicals of shop-bought products can work wonders for your skin, and enhance your inner beauty!
DESIblitz has come up with five simple steps to achieve great skincare. Our different face masks below are all easy to make and follow.
Before you start using any of these facial masks, you must make sure your face is clear of any dirt or make-up which can settle in your skin throughout the day.
Remove any make-up and wash your face with warm water. Now you are ready to begin with any of our facial masks below!
Besan or gram flour is a classic ingredient in fighting lifeless skin and acne.
Traditionally, it is often mixed with lemon or honey to make the perfect skin-beautifying mix.
Besan helps to draw out toxins and dirt which can clog your pores, making it a great cleanser.
- 2/3 tablespoons of besan (Chickpea/Gram Flour)
- Mix with milk/yoghurt/honey/sugar/rose water/almond oil or water to form a smooth paste
- Mix the Besan and milk/yoghurt together to get a smooth mixture
- Apply to your face using your fingers, avoiding contact with your eyes
- Wait for the mask to dry and finally wash off with lukewarm water
Steaming is cheap, quick and very easy! It helps to coax your pores open and sweat out dirt particles that are lodged deep within your skin.
- Boil water and pour into a bowl
- Leave to cool for a couple of minutes
- Using a towel over your head to stop the steam escaping, lean your face over the water so that the steam drifts upwards and towards your face
- Gently pat your skin if it feels really sweaty
- Stay over the bowl for a couple of minutes
Sugar and Water
Using sugar as a natural scrub can help clear away clogged pores and dead skin. The result is soft, smooth skin that has a healthy glow.
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of warm water
- Mix the sugar and warm water together well, so that the sugar granule dissolve completely
- First, wash your face with warm water to open pores
- Rub the paste into your face in circular motions
- Leave for 3 minutes, and then wash off with cold water
Cornmeal and Water
Cornmeal is another great exfoliant for oily skin types, as it removes excess oil without drying out your skin.
- 3 tablespoons of finely ground cornmeal
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of water
Method: Mix the cornmeal and water together to form a smooth paste. Spread over your face and massage in using circular motions. Leave to dry and rinse with warm water.
Natural Beauty Mask
- 1 tablespoon gram flour
- ¼ tsp of orange peel powder
- 1 tbs of beaten yoghurt
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together well
- Apply to face and neck
- Leave until the face is dry
- Rub off the face with hands in circular motions
- Wash face with warm water and then cold water
- 1 tablespoon of gram flour
- 2 tablespoon of curd
- Mix the gram flour and curd together well
- Apply the paste onto your face
- Leave for 30 minutes, and finally wash off with water.
Facial Scrub Mask
Turmeric is a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
Tumeric is great for acne prone skin, it can reduce redness and pimples on your skin.
It is also thought to help rid fine lines and wrinkles when mixed with other natural ingredients.
- 2 teaspoons of gram flour
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- 3 teaspoons of milk
- Mix the ingredients together until you get a thick paste
- If it is too thin, you can add more besan
- Gently apply the mixture to your face using your fingers
- Leave until the mask dries, and then wash off with water.
Yoghurt Mask (for all skin types)
- 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey (microwave for a few seconds to soften hardened honey)
- Mix the yoghurt and honey together
- Apply the mixture to the face
- Leave for 15 minutes, and wash face with warm water
DESI Tip: For dry skin use an extra teaspoon of honey. For oily skin add a few drops of fresh lime juice.
For supple and nourished skin you have to lock in the softness after the use of a face mask with a gentle moisturiser, you can use a handful of coconut oil, rose water and rub in gently.
If you use moisturising creams, it is best to use them at night, as this will keep your face nourished throughout the night.
Homemade facial masks are an inexpensive way to maintain radiant skin without booking yourself into a spa.
Everyone deserves a little relax and recharge from time to time, so why not pamper yourself and give them a try?