US Indian Woman killed whilst Parasailing with Children

A US Indian woman was killed in a parasailing accident. She had been parasailing in the Florida Keys with two children, including her son.

US Indian Woman killed whilst Parasailing with Children

"I knew right away the outcome was going to be bad."

A US Indian woman was killed whilst parasailing with two children.

Supraja Alaparthi, from Illinois, died during the incident in the Florida Keys. Her son Sriakshith Alaparthi, aged 10, and her nine-year-old nephew Vishant Sadda were injured.

A sudden storm prompted the boat captain to cut loose their parasail, which then dragged them across the ocean and slammed them into a bridge.

A nearby boater rushed to rescue them, pulling the victims into his boat and taking them to paramedics who were waiting.

Supraja had already died by the time they arrived at the nearby Sunset Grill Marina. The two children were taken to hospitals for treatment.

Fishing guide John Callion raced around Pigeon Keys to reach them.

His fiancee Kasey Platt said: “He was pretty frantic on the call. He said, ‘Call 911 right away’.”

Speaking about the storm, Mr Callion said:

“It was pretty much flat calm, but you could see the storm coming. All of the sudden, the temperature dropped by 10 degrees and the wind started blowing like crazy.

“I knew right away the outcome was going to be bad. Sure enough, the line connected to the parasail broke.

“At first, and from a distance, the bridge seemed to be a saving grace to stop the parasail from travelling any further.

“Unfortunately, the victims made contact with the wing wall section of the bridge, and it was at a high rate of speed.”

He said he did not see the trio hit the bridge because he quickly went to help them after seeing them fall into the water.

According to a report, the captain on the boat pulling the parasail, Daniel Couch, “cut a line tethered to the three victims” because the parasail was dragging the boat.

Supraja and the children were then dragged “through and across the surface of the water” by the inflated parasail until they collided with the Old Seven Mile Bridge.

Parasailing safety consultant Mark McCulloh said boat captains should never cut the cord when people are in the air.

He said: “No, no, no. That’s not even in the cards.

“You run a huge risk because it’s windy. When the parasail lands in the water, it doesn’t stop moving.”

Mr Callion found Sriakshith injured but awake. Vishant was unconscious and wrapped in the parasail’s lines.

He said:

“It was pretty much the worst thing you could imagine. It was real bad.”

Mr Callion and his crew cut the harness from the chute. He and his passengers began CPR on the child and his mother but realised she was dead.

Fortunately, Monroe County sheriff’s deputies were on the bridge for another incident and witnessed Callion get the victims into his boat.

They then reportedly yelled down from the bridge to get the woman and her sons to the Sunset Grill, an oceanfront restaurant located at the base of the bridge.

Once they arrived, a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer began chest compressions on the woman aboard Mr Callion’s boat, Sergeant Deborah Johnson of the Keys sheriff’s office said in her incident report.

She got onto the boat to assist the officers with CPR but once paramedics arrived, she turned her attention to Vishant, who was going in and out of consciousness.

The state’s wildlife agency are currently investigating.

Captain Jason Ingram, Coast Guard Sector Key West commander, said:

“Our condolences are with the family and loved ones of those affected by Monday’s accident.

“This was a tragedy for a family seeking to enjoy their visit to the Florida Keys.”

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”