Man’s death after ordering from Takeaway sparks Investigation

An investigation has been launched as a 23-year-old man died after ordering a meal from a takeaway restaurant in Newcastle.

Man's death after ordering from Takeaway sparks Investigation f

"a 23-year-old male has died after falling ill"

A man has died after ordering food from a takeaway in Newcastle. The death has subsequently sparked an investigation.

Northumbria Police confirmed it has launched an investigation after a 23-year-old man died at a house in Jesmond on Friday, July 10, 2020.

He had earlier ordered food from the Dadyal restaurant in nearby Shieldfield.

The cause of death has not yet been established.

However, police confirmed that he had food from the Indian takeaway and died afterwards.

An investigation is now underway, with officers working alongside Newcastle City Council’s food safety team to determine what happened, though it is believed that enquiries are at a very early stage.

Currently, no action has been taken against the restaurant in Howard Street, which sells South Asian cuisine and pizzas.

A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said:

“We can confirm that a 23-year-old male has died after falling ill at an address in Jesmond. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”

A council spokesperson added: “We are aware that a 23-year-old man has died. Our deepest sympathies are with his family and friends at this very sad time.

“Our Food Safety Team has been informed and is supporting Northumbria Police with its investigation.”

The restaurant’s owner, Gulfam Ulhaq, said that staff members were “in shock” after being told by police that one of their customers had died.

He said:

“I was really shocked when police told me he had passed away and that he was only 23 years old.”

“It is very, very sad. We are all in shock.”

Mr Ulhaq went on to explain that the takeaway order in question was placed online through Deliveroo and said that the website contained “very clear” information regarding allergens and food hygiene.

Following the incident, Dadyal has since been removed from Deliveroo and Just Eat’s websites, though the takeaway is still open. The investigation continues.

Dadyal has a food hygiene rating of three, or ‘generally satisfactory’, according to the latest report from the Food Standards Agency following an inspection in March 2019.

In a separate case, two takeaway bosses were jailed after a 15-year-old customer suffered a fatal allergic reaction.

Harun Rashid and Mohammed Abdul Kuddus were both convicted for the unlawful death of Megan Lee by reason of gross negligence.

The food was ordered from their takeaway by Megan and her friend online via the Just Eat website two days prior to the allergic reaction she had from the food, due to the presence of ingredients related to nuts.

When ordering she wrote “prawns, nuts” in the comments and notes section.

The order included a seekh kebab, a Peshwari naan and an onion bhaji. It was subsequently found to have the “widespread presence” of peanut-related protein.

The food instigated an asthma attack in Megan, who was a nut allergy sufferer.

Megan was then rushed to hospital but died two days later, on January 1, 2017.

The takeaway was then closed down immediately after an inspection by Trading Standards and environmental hygiene officers, five days after the incident.

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”