Daler Mehndi convicted for People Smuggling then Granted Bail

Popular singer Daler Mehndi has been convicted for a 2003 people smuggling case by Patiala court. Sentenced on the morning of 16th March 2018, the singer has since been granted bail.

Daler Mehndi

"I have been granted bail. We will appeal in higher court"

Popular singer Daler Mehndi has been convicted for smuggling people abroad by Patiala court.

On the morning of Friday 16th March 2018, he was sentenced to imprisonment for two years after evidence proving him guilty was presented in court.

After being taken into custody, however, the 50-year-old was immediately granted bail.

The human trafficking case in question was lodged in 2003 against Daler Mehndi and his brother Shamsher.

A complaint was filed by Bakshish Singh of Balbehra village. He claimed that Mehndi and his brother duped him of ‘lakhs of rupees’ under the pretext of sending him abroad. Following Singh’s grievance, as many as 35 other similar complaints of fraud were filed against the two brothers.

The Punjabi musician enjoyed much success in the music industry during the late 90s and early 2000s. His songs such as ‘Tunak Tunak’, ‘Bolo Tara Ra’ were chartbusters. During this period, the singer was touring around the world for his performances.

It was alleged in 2003 that Mehndi used his music troupes to drop off people illegally in the United States of America under the guise of dancers.

Reports suggest that Mehndi dropped off three girls from his troupe in San Francisco in 1999. In the span of a year from 1998 to 1999, Daler and his brother allegedly dropped off over 10 people disguised as their troupe members.

During police investigations, the artist and his brother’s offices were raided and documents were seized from their Delhi office. The documents included a case file listing those who paid the two brothers the illegal ‘passage money’.

In 2006, a discharge petition was filed by Patiala police in favour of the singer but it was quashed on account of sufficient evidence suggesting Daler’s involvement.

Shamsher passed away in October 2017 after suffering from jaundice and hence the case reopened convicting Daler Mehndi.

Despite being found guilty, Mehndi was granted bail almost immediately.

According to NDTV, Daler told reporters: “I have been granted bail. We will appeal in higher court.”

The singer later reacted to the court decision on his social media account. He tweeted:

“This case has been going on since last 14 years with my brother, who unfortunately passed away last year, as the main accused.”

“Even after court found no evidence against me, with assumption that my brother was under my umbrella, court has put out this verdict.”

In a second tweet, Daler said:

“This saddens me but I have complete faith in God that truth will come out soon. We will approach the session’s court for justice. I would like to thank all my loved ones all across the world for their support, love and good wishes.”

The case will continue as the pop singer will now approach a higher court with a fresh appeal.

Surabhi is a journalism graduate, currently pursuing an MA. She is passionate about films, poetry and music. She is fond of travelling places and meeting new people. Her motto is: "Love, laugh, live."

Image courtesy of Daler Mehndi Official Facebook page


  • Share
    Tweet
    +1
    Email
    WhatsApp