Baahubali leaves ALL Bollywood flicks for dust in so many other ways.
Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) made history as the first Tollywood movie to gross over Rs 500 crores (£50.2m) at the global box office.
Director S.S. Rajamouli’s epic period drama enters an elite clubs with 3 Idiots (2009) and PK (2014), having surpassed this lucrative benchmark.
Even more impressive is the fact this global success has been achieved within four weeks of its release on July 10, 2015.
It easily overtook Salman Khan’s competing box office Eid release Bajrangi Bhaijaan, which has earned a very respectable Rs 300 crores (£30m) and counting.
The South Indian blockbuster leaves ALL Bollywood flicks for dust in so many other ways.
Some of its boast-worthy records include:
- Biggest opening day earnings of any Indian film with Rs 50 crores (£5m), topping Happy New Year’s Rs 45 crores (£4.52m) in 2014
- Highest opening weekend earnings in India ~ Rs 145 crores (£14.6m)
- Highest Indian grossing film ever in the US ~ Rs 28 crores (£2.8m)
- Fastest Indian film to earn over Rs 100 crores ~ 2 days
- Most expensive budget of any Indian film ~ Rs 240 crore (£24m)
- World Record sized promotional poster ~ 51,000 square feet
Baahubali stars Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia and Anushka Shetty in leading roles, telling the mythological story of two brothers fighting over an ancient kingdom.
Made in Telgu and Tamil, the film has been dubbed in a number of languages including Hindi, French and Malayalam.
The steamy song ‘Pacha Bottasi’ is also making headlines for being one of the hottest tunes ever.
Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan, who recently found time to watch the film, praised the movie on Twitter.
Baahubali what a hard worked at film. 2 every1 involved thanx for the inspiration. U can only reach the sky if u r willing to take the leap!
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) August 2, 2015
Tollywood, often seen as second fiddle to the Bollywood, is fast making its mark across the world and stamping its authority as a worthy contender.
Acclaimed for its visual effects and cinematography, Baahubali is the first of a two-part saga with the final instalment anticipated sometime in 2017.[Not a valid template]