Avocados reduces cravings, hunger and overeating.
Burning excess fat doesn’t mean padlocking the fridge and kitchen cupboards and throwing away the keys.
Eating the right kinds of food can help you lose the weight you want without starving yourself.
Drinking the likes of green tea and water can be great detoxifiers, but for those looking for a few more wholesome meals, then this is the article for you!
DESIblitz investigates 7 foods that can help burn fat and make you feel happier and healthier.
Avocados are a great addition to a salad.
One fifth of a medium sized avocado has only 50 calories.
But it contains about 20 vitamins and minerals, including potassium and vitamin C.
Furthermore, avocados improve the way that your body absorbs nutrients. This reduces cravings and helps to reduce hunger and overeating.
Watermelon is the perfect summer snack, as it is filling, refreshing and tasty.
It can help keep you cool and hydrated in the sun, and is only 30 calories per 100g.
It is a natural source of vitamin A, C and is rich in electrolytes, which help give you energy.
Grab a slice for dessert or mid-afternoon for a juicy treat.
Almonds have plenty of nutritional value, as they contain many vitamins such as vitamin B-6.
They are also are rich in dietary fibre, which helps to speed up your metabolism.
A serving of 30 g of almonds is 160 calories, but contains lots of enzymes which help to lower cholesterol and keep your heart healthy.
They are great as a snack, or they can be toasted and sprinkled into your salads. You can even add them into your Indian curries!
Pulses like soya beans, kidney beans, chick peas and lentils are packed full of iron and other nutrients.
In fact, lentils actually contain 25 per cent more iron than spinach.
Pulses are easy to make tasty (see the recipe below) and also contain a lot of fibre, to help keep your digestive system healthy and speed up your metabolism.
For those Desi’s who love their spices, cayenne peppers offer a tasty way to burn fat. Cayenne peppers capsicum which is a great fat burning substance.
Capsicum gives the body a natural thermogenic boost, which increases metabolism, and encourages the body to burn fat for energy.
Cayenne peppers can also stop cravings by decreasing your appetite and it slows the process of fat cells developing.
Cinnamon controls insulin levels, which in turn helps to regulate blood sugar.
It is essential to avoid spikes in blood sugar levels as this can lead to the body storing fat.
In addition, cinnamon helps to speed up your metabolism, particularly in breaking down sugars and carbohydrates.
Eating cinnamon suppresses your appetite, as well as making you feel fuller for longer.
And probably best of all, cinnamon helps to burn belly fat!
Chia seeds are high in both protein and fibre, which have both been shown to help with weight loss.
The fibre in the chia seeds absorbs large amounts of water and expands in the stomach.
This contributes to the slow absorption of food, which increases your feeling of satiation, thereby reducing your appetite and intake of food.
Why not try to make homemade guacamole? It can be served with carrot sticks, and is a great low calorie nutritious snack. You can also combine almonds with lentils and make yourself a tasty stew.
- 2 ripe large avocados, halved and pitted
- tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp. serrano chili
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Scoop out the insides of the avocado and mash in a bowl. Add the juice, chili, garlic and salt and mash again.
- Put the mustard seeds into a pan with the vegetable oil and simmer on a medium heat for a few minutes until the seeds pop. Remove from the heat and stir in all your remaining spices, and then leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Stir your pan mixture into the avocado along with the cilantro, and it is ready to serve.
Almond and Lentil Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying the almonds
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, halved
- 250g green lentils
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 50g almonds
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Put the olive oil into a large pan to fry the carrot, onion, turnip and celery for about five minutes. Then add the garlic and mushrooms to the mixture and fry for another five minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock and herbs and boil the mixture on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- In another pan, a few minutes before the stew is finished, fry the almonds in a bit of olive oil along with your cinnamon, and warm the cherry tomatoes.
- Serve your stew with a garnish of almonds and tomatoes.
Burning fat is not as hard as you think. Say goodbye to those fad diets and enjoy losing weight the healthy and delicious way.