"The club is committed to transparency"
Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC) have already been contacted by 36 whistleblowers within a week of launching a hotline amid the Azeem Rafiq case.
The hotline was set up following allegations of institutional racism by the club’s new chairman, Lord Kamlesh Patel, who replaced Roger Hutton.
Headed by Mohinderpal Sethi QC of Littleton Chambers, there have already been 36 individuals who have made contact via the new email service.
In a statement, the club said:
“It has been confirmed that 36 individuals have emailed the hotline since it became operational on Monday, November 15, 2021.
“All communications received by the hotline are being reviewed, and Sethi’s team will communicate directly with those who have made contact.
“The club is committed to transparency regarding the volume of contact to the hotline and will share updates regularly, initially weekly.”
The news comes shortly after former YCCC player Azeem Rafiq testified before a parliamentary committee on November 16, 2021.
He spoke extensively about the racism he faced while at the club and has previously said he was made to feel like an outsider due to both his race and his religion.
Rafiq claimed that the word ‘p***’ was “used constantly” and that red wine had been forced down his throat by older players when he was 15 along with other incidents.
It allegedly got so serious that the ex-cricketer even considered taking his own life while playing for Yorkshire.
The 30-year-old made over 40 allegations during this time and later returned to the club for a two-year spell in 2016.
However, there have also been allegations made against Rafiq in recent days as he has been accused of sending “creepy” WhatsApp messages to a teenager.
Gayathri Ajith claimed that she received messages from him about kissing her and inviting her to dinner after meeting her on a flight in 2015 when she was 16.
They had been flying from Manchester to Dubai when Rafiq was 24-years-old.
The former cricketer has not yet provided a statement regarding the allegations.
It comes after a series of historic, anti-Semitic Facebook messages written by him in 2011 were also unearthed, something which he apologised for on Twitter.
Rafiq wrote: “I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence.
“I was 19 at the time and I hope and believe I am a different person today.”
“I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this.”
He later added: “At no point will I ever try and defend the indefensible.
“For those I have hurt I am sincerely sorry.”
YCCC previously issued an apology in regards to the racism accusations made by Azeem Rafiq.