Man jailed for Stabbing Rival in Neck over a Feud

A man from Rochdale has received a prison sentence after he stabbed a rival in the neck. The pair had been involved in a feud.

Man jailed for Stabbing Rival in Neck over a Feud f

"You'll be dead in six seconds."

Hameed Akhtar, aged 51, of Rochdale, was jailed for six years and two months after he stabbed a rival in the neck over a feud they were embroiled in.

Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court heard that on March 13, 2020, Akhtar stabbed Ansar Mohammad in front of several witnesses in the living room of a house in Rochdale.

Mark Monaghan, prosecuting, said: “On Friday, March 13, the victim Ansar Mohammad and several other people, none of whom gave statements to the police, were in the front room of a house in Ashton Road in Rochdale.

“The house appears to have been the permanent residence of at least one of the people he was with and at around 6 pm the defendant came through the front door, approached the victim without warning and struck him to the throat with a knife.”

Akhtar then allegedly told his rival: “You’ll be dead in six seconds.”

Mr Monaghan said: “Accounts vary but there is no suggestion the comment was significantly different. The defendant then left.”

A witness who worked at a nearby mosque heard about the incident and alerted emergency services. Mr Mohammad was then taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Akhtar and another person went to a nearby park and spoke to a passer-by, who agreed to let Akhtar use his phone as long as he dialled the number himself.

Akhtar asked to be picked up from the park. He then boasted to the witness:

“There was blood coming out like a fountain – you will hear about it in the news tomorrow.”

Mr Mohammad suffered a 2cm laceration on his neck which left a scar. He was kept in hospital for five days.

On March 25, Akhtar handed himself in to police but made no comment in interview.

It was heard that the two men were involved in a feud, however, the background is unknown.

Police discovered that Akhtar was previously a leading figure in a gang involved in dealing heroin and crack cocaine in the Milkstone and Deeplish areas.

He has 58 previous convictions which include drugs supply, violence and criminal damage.

In July 2010, he was jailed for over four years following a police operation targeting drug dealers in Rochdale.

Defending, Andrew Roxborough said Akhtar “knew his victim well and there had been some issues between them in the past”.

He added: “This was a minor disagreement to which he responded in an unacceptable way.

“He no longer has any hostility towards his victim but does not seek to approach him again.

“This was a single blow and was not premeditated. This sort of assault is highly unlikely to be repeated by this defendant.

“The violence on his record is for far more minor offences and mainly took place in a domestic context.”

Akhtar denied attempted murder but admitted GBH with intent, which was accepted by prosecutors.

Judge Maurice Greene told Akhtar: “You were originally charged with attempted murder but the prosecution accepted a guilty plea to assault occasioning grievous bodily harm with intent.

“Your victim has a scar and seems to have been suffering from nightmares.

“It seems to me that by going for the victim’s throat you intended to cause more serious harm than actually resulted.”

“However, this was a single blow and you had not inflicted any violence on your victim in the past.

“A report on you says you pose a significant risk of causing serious harm to the public and that violence in your past has mainly been in a domestic context.

“However, you lack convictions for violence in recent years and a standard determinate sentence is appropriate in your case.”

Metro reported that Akhtar was jailed for six years and two months.

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”