Man jailed for Stabbing Teenager at Metro Station

A 22-year-old man received a prison sentence for stabbing a teenager to death outside a metro station in London.

Man jailed for Stabbing Teenager at Metro Station

“This was a shocking act of violence"

Mohammed Hoque, aged 22, of London, was jailed for life for stabbing a teenager to death outside a metro station.

Hoque was found guilty of stabbing 19-year-old Muhammad Samir Uddin at London’s Crossharbour DLR station on Friday, July 10, 2020.

Southwark Crown Court heard that Hoque and a friend had encountered the victim and four of his friends as they made their way to the station shortly before 6 pm.

CCTV footage showed the pair walking up the station stairs towards a platform before turning right and communicating with the group.

Samir and two of his friends moved to the bottom of the stairwell before both parties engaged in conversation.

It soon turned into a physical altercation.

Hoque is then seen pulling out a black kitchen knife from his fur hood.

A short while later, he runs after Samir and another victim, swinging the knife and stabbing both of them in the process.

The court also heard that Hoque kicked Samir in the head as he lay dying on the ground with fatal stab wounds and fist-bumped a friend in victory after the attack.

Despite the efforts of nearby members of the public and paramedics, Samir died of his injuries at the scene after being stabbed multiple times.

Hoque’s friend was also stabbed in the back and suffered a fractured spine in the attack. He was taken to intensive care and is still struggling with his recovery from the injury.

Uddin’s family also issued a statement after his murder.

His father said: “Muhammad Samir Uddin, known to his family and friends as Sam, was our first child and eldest brother to four younger siblings.

“He was aged only 19 when he died – he had his whole life to look forward to and it was cruelly taken away from him.

“Samir was loved by everyone, he was the joker in the family and made everyone laugh.

“He was a funny, bubbly, goofy, responsible, loving and understanding individual.”

“He used to make his brothers and sisters laugh and knew instinctively how to comfort them when they needed it.

“Samir’s hobby was fitness training. He trained regularly at a local gym and also loved canoeing which he practised in Shadwell Basin.

“Bearing the pain and anguish of losing our son is too much to take but something our family will have to live with for the rest of our lives.

“We miss him very much.”

In court, it was revealed that Hoque had never spoken to the victim prior to the day of the fatal stabbing and two days after the attack, he handed himself in.

Judge Sally Cahill QC said: “There is nothing that came to light during the course of this trial which explained your actions on the 10th of July 2020, other than the fact that you are, as I conclude, a thoroughly spoiled, egotistical, power-hungry and evil individual.”

Hoque was jailed for life, to serve a minimum of 27 years in prison.

British Transport Police (BTP)’s Senior Investigating Officer in the case, Detective Chief Inspector Paul Langley, said:

“This was a shocking act of violence which resulted in the loss of a young man with his whole life ahead of him.

“While we’re pleased to see that justice has been served to the man responsible, Samir Uddin’s untimely and tragic death has left an unfillable hole in the lives of his parents, four younger siblings and friends.

“I would like to take this opportunity to offer my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends, and I hope they can take some small comfort that justice has been served today.”

Naina is a journalist interested in Scottish Asian news. She enjoys reading, karate and independent cinema. Her motto is "Live like others don't so you can live like others won't."

  • What's New



  • Polls

    How do you think these AI songs sound?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...
  • Share to...