"It was all over a parking place"
A man was arrested on suspicion of murder after a restaurant owner was found dead under the wheels of his own Mercedes.
The body of 44-year-old Manmeet Singh was discovered under his car during the evening of Saturday, November 23, 2019.
It was reported that he got into an argument with another motorist over parking.
He died outside his restaurant, Passage to India, in Hounslow after a dispute with another driver whose car was blocked in by his Mercedes.
After shouts and screams were heard outside the London restaurant, diners described seeing legs under the vehicle.
Paramedics tried to save Mr Singh but he was pronounced dead at the scene. One man was subsequently arrested in connection with his death.
On November 27, 2019, members of Mr Singh’s family said that the restaurant owner had been confronted by another driver at approximately 9 pm.
Rocky Sapra, Mr Singh’s cousin, said the incident has left the victim’s wife “distraught.’
Mr Singh was a father-of-two. He had a teenage daughter and a nine-year-old son.
Mr Sapra explained: “As far as I know it wasn’t anything personal. His car was parked at the back and these people wanted access.
“They came back a couple of times. It was all over a parking place, it makes no sense to destroy a family over that.”
Mr Singh also owned the Polka Store off-licence next door to his restaurant. As a result of his death, both businesses remained closed.
The Daily Mail reported that Mr Sapra went on to pay tribute to his cousin who had “supported” him. He added:
“We used to be business partners but I had to give up work when my wife passed away of cancer. He always supported me, I am so grateful to him.”
An estate agent nearby explained that a chef had described a man storming into the restaurant, demanding Mr Singh to move his car.
“He told them he couldn’t move it right away because the restaurant was busy.
“And then the other man got angry and there was a fight.”
A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder was later bailed.
A spokesperson for the Met Police said: “Officers are working to establish the circumstances, but believe that the man was possibly involved in a dispute with the occupant of another vehicle beforehand.
“The 44-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:39 pm.
“His next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem will take place in due course. Enquiries into the circumstances continue.
“A man was arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with this incident. He has since been bailed, pending further inquiries.”