"he was thrown from the car."
A 15-year-old boy has been jailed for four years and nine months after he ran over a restaurant owner with his own car, killing him.
The incident happened on January 8, 2021. Mohammed Islam died two days later.
Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, said that the boy, then aged 14, was among a group of five who travelled in a Ford Transit van using cloned registration plates, loaned out by criminals.
The gang were looking for a vehicle to steal and sell on.
Mr Islam owned the Marple Spice restaurant in Marple, Stockport, and was delivering a customer’s order.
While he was at the customer’s door, the teenager got into Mr Islam’s silver Mercedes.
Witnesses saw the restaurant owner shouting and grabbing the side of the car, which at first was stationary.
Mr Wright said: “That did not deter the defendant, who then drove off at considerable speed with Mr Islam holding on to the car.
“Other members of the public saw Mr Islam clinging to the side of the vehicle, one said the car was travelling at the sort of speed I have seen on Top Gear when they completely floor it.
“The vehicle travelled 30 metres until he was thrown from the car.
“All the injuries were consistent with him having been thrown from the vehicle with his head striking the ground, then him being run over by the vehicle itself over his head.”
The restaurant owner suffered fatal head injuries.
Police soon traced the teenager and he was arrested.
On his phone were photos and videos of him behind the wheel of the car, which the group had tried to sell.
But after Mr Islam’s death, they instead set it alight to destroy evidence.
The teenager, who has an IQ of 66, putting him in the bottom one per cent for his age group, initially admitted manslaughter.
He later pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal also.
Mr Islam came alone to the UK from Bangladesh as a 14-year-old.
He first worked to bring his family over to the UK before building up a successful restaurant business.
The car had been a 25th wedding anniversary present from his two sons and daughter.
His daughter, Nasrin Choudhory, read a victim impact statement.
She said: “I don’t think you realise what you have done. The void that has been left has not been filled.
“Dad dying has hit mum so hard. I can’t remember the last time I saw her smile.”
“I have not had many good days. He was not only an immeasurable loss to my family but the whole community.
“Dad was the foundation of our home.”
In mitigation, Simon Csoka QC said the teenager has significant learning difficulties and an attention deficit disorder but was now making progress.
He added: “He does have comprehension of the enormity of the loss he has caused.”
Judge Nicholas Dean QC, Honorary Recorder of Manchester, said:
“The family have had a light extinguished in their life.
“The profound grief of the family will live with them for many years.”
The teenager was sentenced to four years and nine months in detention.
Co-defendant Connor Read, aged 18, was given 13 months detention, suspended for two years. He was ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work.
A second teenager, aged 15, is yet to be sentenced for conspiracy to steal. Two others, both aged 18, are due in court on the same charge on September 7, 2021.