Police have urged people not to speculate about what happened
Cleveland Police has named the five young people who died alongside two police officers in a fatal wrong-way crash near Middlesbrough.
Michael Robert Cahill, aged 23, Theo Rae, aged 17, Cole Robert Worthy, aged 16, Jacob Matusiak, aged 23, and Makai Saddington, aged 18, were killed in the collision.
The crash happened shortly after 3:30 am on Saturday on the A66 in South Bank, near Middlesbrough.
The five young people were travelling in a Volkswagen Passat when it collided with a marked Cleveland Police vehicle.
PC Matthew Blades and PC Tom Clough were inside the police vehicle and also died in the crash.
Cleveland Police said family liaison officers are supporting the families of the five young people.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the collision.
The investigation follows an earlier incident involving a police pursuit in the area.
Police have urged people not to speculate about what happened while the investigation continues.
Cleveland Police Chief Constable Victoria Fuller paid tribute to PC Blades and PC Clough following their deaths.
She described them as brave officers who served their communities but did not return home to their families after their shifts.
Tributes have also been paid by police forces, emergency services and community organisations across the UK.
Cleveland Police Federation chair Lauren Somerville said the deaths had been deeply felt across the force.
She described the two officers as friends, teammates and valued members of the policing family.
Seaton Carew FC also paid tribute to PC Blades, who was one of the club’s under-seven coaches.
The football club described him as a much-loved member of its community and offered condolences to his family and friends.
Flowers have also been left near the crash scene as members of the public and police officers paid their respects.
Flags at Seaton Carew’s football ground have been flown at half-mast following the tragedy.
Redcar MP Anna Turley also visited the scene to lay flowers and pay tribute to those who died.
She urged people not to share AI-generated images claiming to show the two deceased officers.
The A66 remains closed in both directions between Eston Road and Normanby Road.
The closure is expected to remain in place while investigators continue examining the scene.
North East Ambulance Service and Great North Air Ambulance Service have also expressed their condolences.
The emergency services acknowledged the impact the incident has had on crews who attended the scene.
Seven people have now been confirmed dead following the collision.








