the pistol was licensed and belonged to the Pakistani teenager's father
A Pakistani teenager has died after he accidentally shot himself while filming a video for TikTok.
The incident happened on Sunday, June 21, 2020, in Karachi.
The unnamed 17-year-old was reportedly using his mobile phone to film himself whilst holding his father’s pistol to his head.
However, as he held the pistol, he accidentally pulled the trigger, killing himself on the spot.
According to officers, the boy’s family refused a post-mortem. After medico-legal formalities were completed, the teenager’s body was handed over to his family.
The police revealed that the pistol was licensed and belonged to the Pakistani teenager’s father, who worked as a labourer.
Following the incident, the police have urged parents to check on their children when they are using smartphones.
They have also stressed that the safety of children at home is the responsibility of the parents and a moment of negligence could result in death.
This is not the first time that a person has died while filming a TikTok video.
In March 2020, a 25-year-old man from Haryana was making a TikTok video on a railway when he was electrocuted, killing him instantly.
The young man, Vikas, was with his friends on the railway when they decided to make a TikTok video. At around 4 am, he climbed up the electrical pole as he was desperate to make a good video.
He continued to climb higher, however, he accidentally touched one of the high voltage overhead wires and was electrocuted.
Vikas died instantly and his friends ran away. His body was hanging on the wire for around two hours until a passerby alerted the police.
Police officers transferred the case to the Government Railway Police (GRP). The GRP arrived at the scene, shut off the power and took the deceased’s body down.
Vikas was sent to a hospital while police have seized his mobile phone.
An investigation revealed that Vikas lived with his mother after both his father and uncle died. He has an elder brother who is currently serving a prison sentence.
His cousin Bhupendra told officers that Vikas planned to enlist in the Army.
GRP officer Suraj Meena explained that the overhead wires have 25,000 volts. Even if the voltage is reduced, it will still have 11,000.
GRP officers believe that Vikas and his friends had been drinking prior to his death.