"Anyone thinking of causing trouble – please don’t."
Leicester Police have promised a strong presence in the city to prevent any disorder which might arise from the T20 World Cup match between India and Pakistan.
Officers will also be out in numbers to ensure the city’s Diwali celebrations run smoothly.
The police operation is taking place following violent tensions between groups of Hindu and Muslim people in September 2022.
Over 60 people have been arrested so far and detectives are continuing their inquiries.
The past few weeks have seen calm restored.
Now, Leicestershire Police says it is preparing for a potentially busy weekend during which India and Pakistan will face each other in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Melbourne, Australia.
Temporary Chief Constable Rob Nixon said:
“I’d like to take this time to ask everyone to enjoy the Diwali celebrations – as they normally would.
“It’s a very special time for so many people in the communities of Leicester, and a very special time for the city and those celebrations should go ahead.
“There will be a high-visibility police presence in the area throughout Monday to ensure this is the case.
“Anyone thinking of causing trouble – please don’t. We will be there to stop disorder breaking out.
“This is also the case on Sunday, following the cricket match.
“We recognise that there might be tensions around this result and will be on the streets, patrolling and offering reassurance to the community.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to ask – again – to not share unverified and unchecked information on social media. Misinformation has proven very destructive throughout.”
Meanwhile, detectives are continuing to take action against those involved in the disorders.
Mr Nixon continued: “Meticulous efforts to investigate the disorder are progressing, but not without challenges.
“The effort and care going in this work, as you would expect, is relentless.
“The team of detectives working on the reports of crimes are doing so around the clock, with more charges expected.”
In relation to the ongoing investigation, five more people have been arrested, taking the total number to 66.
- A 41-year-old man from Birmingham was arrested on October 11 on suspicion of grievous bodily harm following an incident on September 18.
- A 22-year-old man from Birmingham was arrested on October 13 on suspicion of grievous bodily harm following an incident on September 18.
- A 22-year-old man from Birmingham was arrested on October 14 on suspicion of grievous bodily harm following an incident on September 18.
All three have been released on police bail.
- A 26-year-old man from Leicester was arrested on October 19 on suspicion of causing violent disorder on September 4. He has been released under investigation.
- A 17-year-old from Leicester was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and was subsequently charged with the offence. It relates to an offence on September 6.