“Johar was asked to give details of the party."
Karan Johar is still being targeted by India’s Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), a source close to the agency has revealed.
The NCB continues to look into the 2019 party that was hosted by the Bollywood filmmaker.
Johar had posted a video of the party and it had gone viral.
It featured an array of A-list actors including Deepika Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor, and Malaika Arora.
Varun Dhawan, Vicky Kaushal, Arjun Kapoor and director Ayan Mukerji were also in the clip seen by over two million people.
The video attracted a lot of attention as many social media users claimed that the celebrities were high on drugs.
View this post on Instagram
In the wake of Sushant Singh Rajput’s death in 2020, the NCB undertook an investigation into the claims made that year.
An NCB spokesperson had said: “Johar was asked to give details of the party.
“Accordingly, the NCB on Friday received a reply from him to the notice.
“In the reply, Johar maintained that no drug was consumed at the party.”
While nothing was found, the Indian government gave the agency a six-month extension to keep looking into the case.
The Koffee With Karan host initially took to his Instagram Story to share a cryptic message about the drugs controversy.
He said: “When someone dies, we hit the regret button, the same ‘life is too short’ statements, there is also a mention of clearing blames and complaints.
“But suddenly, you hear about people speaking ill about you, saying you also indulge in slander!
“B**ching, wow, sir, people die everyday but which one of us is even alive?”
However, Johar later released a lengthy, formal statement denying that any substances had been taken during the party.
It began: “I had already clarified my position way back in 2019 that the allegations are completely baseless and false.
“No narcotics substance was consumed in the party.”
“I would like to unequivocally once again state that I do not consume narcotics and I do not promote or encourage consumption of any such substance.
“All these slanderous and malicious statements, have unnecessarily subjected me, my family, and my colleagues, and Dharma Productions, to hatred, contempt and ridicule.”
Dharma Productions is the filmmaker’s company which he took over from his late father Yash Chopra in 2004.
The news of Karan Johar still being targeted by the NCB comes as Aryan Khan was denied bail for the third time following his own drug case.