Dangerous Driver jailed for Causing Death of Elderly Man

A dangerous driver has been jailed after causing the death of a 62-year-old grandfather in a 110mph head-on crash when he performed a dangerous overtake.

Dangerous Driver jailed for Causing Death of Elderly Man f

Police said Miah "showed no concern for David's welfare."

Mohammed Miah, aged 22, of Luton, was jailed for 10 years on Thursday, January 10, 2019, at Luton Crown Court for causing death by dangerous driving.

It was heard he was driving “aggressively” which resulted in a 110mph head-on crash with another car. This led to the death of David Edgar, aged 62, of Luton.

The incident happened on May 30, 2018. Miah was driving a black Audi RS3 Quattro along the B655 Barton Road, between Hexton and Pegsdon on the Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire border.

Witnesses described Miah’s driving as “aggressive” and at about 1.15pm he performed a dangerous overtake on a blind summit.

Hertfordshire Police said Miah was travelling at nearly 110mph in an area which has a 40mph speed limit.

His car collided with Mr Edgar’s silver Kia Picanto, which was travelling in the opposite direction. The impact of the crash forced Mr Edgar’s car off the road before coming to a halt in a hedge at the side of the carriageway.

Members of the public immediately came to Mr Edgar’s help and called the emergency services but Miah fled the scene.

Police said Miah “showed no concern for David’s welfare.” Miah was later arrested and charged.

The father-of-three suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene and was taken to the hospital. He died later that day.

When talking about Miah’s driving, they said that it was “the most dangerous they had ever seen.”

PC Carl Callan said: “Mohammed Miah chose to drive in a manner that has been described by experienced traffic officers as ‘the most dangerous they have ever seen’.”

It was also revealed that Miah had been driving with no insurance and driving while disqualified.

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019, Miah was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by driving with no insurance and causing death by driving while disqualified.

In a victim impact statement released by police, his son Iain said:

“Dave’s death was a senseless loss. It should not have happened. Dave was robbed of his life, his future, his family.”

“We were all robbed of a warm, kind-hearted man who could light us up with his smiles and hugs, who was someone we could depend on, who supported and advised us.”

PC Callan added: “My thoughts are very much with David’s family on what is an extremely difficult day as they process the conclusion of the court case.

“I cannot imagine the pain they have been through since the day they lost David, and I want to pay tribute to their bravery throughout the investigation.

“I know the court result will never bring David back but I hope it offers his family some sense of closure on what has been an extremely distressing time for them.”

In addition to the 10-year sentence, Mohammed Miah was disqualified from driving for nine years, which will begin once he has served his sentence.

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”


  • Like DESIblitz.com on Facebook - click here
  • What's New

    MORE
  • DESIblitz.com winner of Asian Media Award 2013, 2015 & 2017
  • "Quoted"

  • Polls

    Have you been a victim of cyberbullying?

    Loading ... Loading ...