a classical tabla virtuoso of the highest order
DESIblitz in association with Town Hall and Symphony Hall Birmingham (THSH) bring you a unique and exciting competition to win tickets to see none other than Zakir Hussain, the tabla virtuoso and percussionist who is regarded in the music world at large as an international phenomenon.
You will have the pleasure of watching and experiencing Zakir, son of the maestro tabla player Ustad Alla Rakha (Ravi Shankar’s tabla player), performing a night of percussion mastery from who will be joined by the cream of Indian musicians.
Zakir Hussain is today appreciated both in the field of percussion and is a classical tabla virtuoso of the highest order, his consistently brilliant and exciting performances have not only established him as a national treasure in his own country, India, but gained him worldwide fame.
His playing is marked by uncanny intuition and masterful improvisational dexterity, founded in formidable knowledge and study. The favourite
accompanist for many of India’s greatest classical musicians and dancers, he has not let his genius rest there.
Widely considered a chief architect of the contemporary world music movement, Zakir’s contribution to world music has been unique, with many historic collaborations, including Shakti, which he founded with John McLaughlin and L. Shankar, Remember Shakti, the Diga Rhythm Band, Making Music, Planet Drum with Mickey Hart, Tabla Beat Science, Sangam with Charles Lloyd and Eric Harland and recordings and performances with artists as diverse as George Harrison, YoYo Ma, Joe Henderson, Van Morrison, Airto Moreira, Pharoah Sanders, Billy Cobham, Mark Morris, Rennie Harris, and the Kodo drummers.
Zakir was awarded the titles of Padma Shri in 1988, and Padma Bhushan in 2002, becoming the youngest percussionist to be awarded these titles, given to civilians of merit by the Indian government.
The details for the Zakir Hussain ‘Masters of Percussion’ concert are:
Date: Tuesday 8th November 2011
Venue: Town Hall, Victoria Square, Birmingham B3 3DQ.
On stage you will see live performances by:
Zakir Hussain on Tabla
Rakesh Chaurasia playing Bansuri
Sabir Khan playing Sarangi
Sridar Parthasarathy playing Mridangam & Kanjira
Navin Sharma onDholak
T.H.V. Umashankar on Ghatam
The New York Times wrote:
‘Zakir Hussain, the peerless North Indian tabla player, favors an impish strain of virtuosity. He’s a fearsome technician but also a whimsical inventor, devoted to exuberant play.’
To be present as a free guest at this amazing concert in Birmingham, simply answer the question below and submit your answer to us now to win a free pair of tickets!
We have two pairs of tickets to give away. One entry will allow you to win two tickets for you to go with a friend or family member. The competition closes at 12:00pm on Monday 7th November 2011. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the competition below before entering.
COMPETITION IS CLOSED
Terms & Conditions
- DESIblitz.com is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries, or entries submitted but not received by DESIblitz.com for any reason, as potential competition winners.
- To enter this competition, you must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The Winners will be contacted at the “sender” email address or telephone number that was used to enter the competition and the “sender” will be considered as the sole winner.
- No more than one entry per email address is permitted and will be considered.
- You hereby agree to hold DESIblitz.com and its affiliates, owners, partners, subsidiaries, licensees sponsors and assigns harmless from and against, and hereby waive any right to pursue, any claims of any nature arising in connection with the inclusion in, publication via or display on any DESIblitz.com site or this competition, or any other use authorised under these Terms, of any photo or information submitted to DESIblitz.com by you;
- Your Details – In order to claim a winning entry, the entrant supply DESIblitz.com with his/her legal name, a valid email address, and telephone number.
- Winners – the winning entrants of the competition will be selected using a random number algorithmic process which will select two numbers from only the correctly answered entries input serially into the system. If details supplied by any winner are incorrect or the winner unavailable when contacted, then their ticket will be offered to the next random number from the winning entries.
- DESIblitz.com will communicate with the winners via the email or telephone provided. DESIblitz.com is not responsible for emails not getting to the user, nor responsible for the quality of the seats, if show times or dates change, and is not responsible for anything that happens before, during, or after the event.
- Winners may not request substitutions of winnings. All winners are solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees, and all such additional costs that may be incurred after or before they receive the tickets.
- DESIblitz.com, nor employees of DESIblitz.com or partners may be held liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury, or any other claims incurred as a result of any winnings of a prize.
- DESIblitz.com is not liable for any loss arising out of or in connection with or resulting from any contest promoted by DESIblitz.com.
- If the specified prize becomes unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, DESIblitz.com may at its discretion only substitute a prize of like or equal value.
- DESIblitz.com does not accept responsibility for: (1) lost, late or undelivered entries, notifications or communications; (2) any technical, computer, on-line, telephone, cable, electronic, software, hardware, transmission, connection, Internet, Web site, or other access issue, failure, malfunction or difficulty that might hinder the ability of an entrant to enter the competition.
- DESIblitz.com disclaims any liability for inaccurate information, whether caused by the Web site, its users or by human or technical errors related to the submission of entries. DESIblitz.com makes no warranties or guarantees in relation to the prizes.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which are governed by the law of England and Wales. DESIblitz.com and all entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise in connection with these Terms and Conditions and submit all such disputes to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, provided that for the exclusive benefit of DESIblitz.com shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in the courts near an entrant’s residence.
- DESIblitz.com reserves the right to alter any rules of any contest at any time.