You need to show the employer that you can dress for a formal occasion.
For job interviews, it’s important to select the best menswear outfits to make a good impression.
Although attires can’t guarantee you a job offer, presenting yourself in the best way possible can certainly improve your chances.
Whether it’s an interview you have coming up, or you just want to mix up your work-wear wardrobe, these formal outfit ideas should work for a variety of job roles.
Many workplaces offer a very relaxed attitude towards the work attire. However, for those who have to wear a black suit, white shirt, and a black tie every day, you still can play with your choices.
See our simple guide for men’s office wear and work on styling that gear!
The Classic Menswear Outfits
A black suit is often seen as one of the safest menswear outfits for any job interview. Particularly for the more corporate roles, rather than the creative fields.
You cannot go wrong with a black suit, and it also appears sleek. It can be paired with a red tie to spruce up the monochrome and add a pop of colour. DESIblitz recommends this wool modern black suit from Moss Bros. Paired with brogues, these Doc Marten shoes take a twist on more classic options.
The Creative Role
A more creative job interview will require a relaxed and less formal attire.
However, no matter how relaxed the interview may feel, ensure you stay clear from wearing denim jeans.
You need to show the employer that you can dress for a formal occasion, although the job may be rather relaxed. Trousers and a shirt without a blazer create the perfect on-trend interview look.
The Cavendish Tassel brown loafers from Kurt Geiger complete the look, as they add even more of a modern and on-trend feel to a job interview.
A Modern Twist on the Classic – The Statement Suit
This idea is for those that are daring to be different, perhaps in a way to get the attention of the employer.
However, DESIblitz knows that you will want to be remembered for your personality rather than your menswear outfits. But, there’s no harm in wearing something that will make you look more memorable.
In particular, an alternative suit, that is outside of the conventional colours of navy or grey, would be a teal suit.
The Re-Imagined Suit
If a suit is something you would rather go for, even when attending an interview for a creative role. Then perhaps try ditching the shirt and tie, and pairing your favourite suit with a t-shirt or a jumper. This option is generally more suitable for a more creative role rather than a corporate role.
Any navy suit will do for this look, see the one from River Island. Paired with a white turtle-neck, such as this off-white roll-neck from Topman. Wear it with simple suede brogues, such as these RJR. John Rocha navy suede brogues.
The Overcoat Look
If you want a quite simple, yet, sophisticated look, add a long trench coat over the top of a plain suit. This may slightly dress down the suit on the first meeting. Or even act as giving warmth or keeping your suit underneath, intact.
After the ideal attires for a job interview, it’s now time for some important interview tips!
- Ensure little things such as your nails look clean and groom your eyebrows. But, don’t let vanity get in the way of your personality.
- Go iron crazy. If you decide to wear a shirt, ensure it’s well ironed and stainless.
- Do your background research. Particularly on the company’s dress code. Usually, go for a similar dress code to this. However, make it more formal.
- Have your hair freshly cut and if you have some facial hair ensure it is trimmed or shaved.
- Do not wear trainers. Even if they are leather or designer, or barely look like trainers, just don’t.
- Settle for an ill-fitting suit. Avoid at every cost wearing a baggy suit or a tight suit. Ensure you are professionally measured when buying a suit and ask members of staff to advise you before you purchase a suit.
- Wear the new shoes that give you blisters. Even though they may look the best, it’s just not worth the judgement you might get for limping into an interview.
Now, with all the outfit options and tips available, you can be sure to create a brilliant first impression.