Murder Inquiry underway after Woman found ‘On Fire’ in Street

A murder investigation is underway after a 31-year-old woman was discovered “on fire” in a street in Bury, Greater Manchester.

Murder Inquiry underway after Woman found 'On Fire' in Street f

"This is a truly devastating incident"

A murder investigation is ongoing after a woman was discovered “on fire” in a street in Bury, Greater Manchester, on July 23, 2021.

Sarah Hussein, aged 31, rushed from a home after suffering severe burns.

Local residents tried to douse the flames by pouring buckets of water over her and also wrapped a wet duvet around her.

Police and paramedics were called to the scene at around 7:30 pm and Ms Hussein was taken to hospital.

However, she died a short time later.

Three men aged 24, 26 and 34 were arrested in connection with the incident. They have now been bailed.

Investigators are not looking for anyone else.

Police and fire investigators are currently working to establish the circumstances surrounding Ms Hussein’s death.

Detective Chief Inspector Daniel Clegg from the Major Incidents Team, said:

“This is a truly devastating incident, in which a woman has tragically lost her life.

“I would like to reassure the public that we believe this is an isolated incident, and there will be an increased emergency services presence in the area as we work to establish the full circumstances surrounding this death.

“If you have any questions, feel free to talk to one of our officers who would be happy to share information.

“Although we have made arrests, our investigation is still in its early stages, and we’re following a number of lines of inquiry.”

At the scene, floral tributes have been placed while social media messages were also shared.

One message read: “The community is now mourning a tragic loss.”

Another said: “RIP angel, gone but never forgotten.”

Bury Council leader Eamonn O’Brien said:

“I am truly saddened to hear about the death of a woman in Bury who suffered severe burns.

“We send our heartfelt condolences to her friends and family.”

Shaista Farzeen was one of the first to help the woman. She said:

“We heard screaming and ran out.

“I couldn’t leave her. I stayed with her. I didn’t care how long it took. The time blurred.”

“We were emptying water out of a bucket on her. The ambulance service was telling us to keep putting water on her.

“My aunty brought out a wet duvet and wrapped it around her. Eventually, the fire went out.

“I didn’t know her. I will never forget it.”

A 19-year-old said: “It’s really not a bad area. This place is usually filled with kids. Awful that they have to see this.”

Councillor O’Brien added: “GMP is working to understand what happened and I urge the public not to speculate in the meantime.

“If you have any information you should contact the police on 0161 856 7386.”

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”

  • What's New



  • Polls

    Are drugs a major problem for young Desi people?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...
  • Share to...