"Her laconic one-liners represent something quite unique in modern comedy.”
DESIblitz has teamed up with The Drum to give our readers the chance to win free tickets to watch the hilarious stand-up comedian Shazia Mirza, performing live at The Drum on Saturday 30th March 2013.
Shazia Mirza had never been to a comedy club or even seen live stand-up until she started doing it herself, she evolved from being a teacher to a comedian. “I started doing comedy by accident. I went onto this comedy course where you had to do a performance for five minutes at the end, which I didn’t realise when I started.”
In 2001, Mirza won the prize for the ‘Best New Act’ at the London Comedy Festival and was soon touring the length and breadth of the country, as well as Europe and the US. There have been TV and radio performances, and she is a regular columnist for The Guardian.
What is perhaps most surprising is that Mirza has also performed in Pakistan. “I was the first British comedian to perform in Pakistan and the shows went brilliantly. It was underground in the basement of this building, there was no advertising and it was all word of mouth!”
Her comedy is satire and unique with a comical edge which most comedians would not try, never mind a British Asian woman! With in-your-face jokes and excellent comedy sketches, Shazia will have you in stitches of laughter, giving you a night to remember.
For her 2013 Cuckooland tour – Anyone can be anything, do anything and say anything. Who cares what anyone thinks you’re going to say it anyway! You have to be a bit deluded but some people are just living in Cuckooland!
“Shazia Mirza has won rave reviews for her frank and honest stand-up comedy routines about being a young Muslim woman in Britain.” – The Daily Telegraph
“Her laconic one-liners represent something quite unique in modern comedy.” – The Guardian Guide
“Clever, groundbreaking and very funny.” Evening Standard
“Had the place in stitches.” Independent
Date and Time: 7.30pm on Saturday 30th March 2013.
Venue: The Drum, 144 Potters Bar Lane, Aston, Birmingham, B6 4UU
Tickets: £12 (£10)
2 FOR 1 TICKETS OFFER
DESIblitz gives you the fantastic offer to buy 2 tickets for the price of 1 for this show. Simply quote our special offer code: DESIBLITZ 241 when buying your tickets. This special offer code can be used online and when calling The Drum box office.
FREE TICKETS COMPETITION
If you want to have a night to remember with some fantastic sketches and gags, then this is one night not to miss! To win a free pair of tickets to watch Shazia Mirza’s Cuckooland! show, simply answer the question below and submit your answer to us now!
One entry will allow you to win two tickets for you to go with a friend or family member. The competition closes at 12.00pm on Thursday 28th March 2013. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the competition below before entering.
COMPETITION IS CLOSED
Terms & Conditions
- DESIblitz.com is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries, or entries submitted but not received by DESIblitz.com for any reason, as potential competition winners.
- To enter this competition, you must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The winner will be contacted at the “sender” email address or telephone number that was used to enter the competition and the “sender” will be considered as the sole winner.
- No more than one entry per email address is permitted and will be considered.
- You hereby agree to hold DESIblitz.com and its affiliates, owners, partners, subsidiaries, licensees sponsors and assigns harmless from and against, and hereby waive any right to pursue, any claims of any nature arising in connection with the inclusion in, publication via or display on any DESIblitz.com site or this competition, or any other use authorised under these Terms, of any photo or information submitted to DESIblitz.com by you;
- Your Details – In order to claim a winning entry, the entrant supply DESIblitz.com with his/her legal name, a valid email address, and telephone number.
- Winner – the winning entrant of the competition will be selected using a random number algorithmic process which will select one number from only the correctly answered entries input serially into the system. If details supplied by any winner are incorrect, then their ticket will be offered to the next random number from the winning entries.
- DESIblitz.com will communicate with the winner via the email or telephone provided. DESIblitz.com is not responsible for emails not getting to the user, nor responsible for the quality of the seats, if show times or dates change, and is not responsible for anything that happens before, during, or after the event.
- The winner may not request substitutions of winnings. The winner is solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees, and all such additional costs that may be incurred after or before they receive the tickets.
- DESIblitz.com, nor employees of DESIblitz.com or partners may be held liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury, or any other claims incurred as a result of any winnings of a prize.
- DESIblitz.com is not liable for any loss arising out of or in connection with or resulting from any competition promoted by DESIblitz.com.
- DESIblitz.com does not accept responsibility for: (1) lost, late or undelivered entries, notifications or communications; (2) any technical, computer, on-line, telephone, cable, electronic, software, hardware, transmission, connection, Internet, Web site, or other access issue, failure, malfunction or difficulty that might hinder the ability of an entrant to enter the competition.
- DESIblitz.com disclaims any liability for inaccurate information, whether caused by the Web site, its users or by human or technical errors related to the submission of entries. DESIblitz.com makes no warranties or guarantees in relation to the prizes.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which are governed by the law of England and Wales. DESIblitz.com and all entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise in connection with these Terms and Conditions and submit all such disputes to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, provided that for the exclusive benefit of DESIblitz.com shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in the courts near an entrant’s residence.
- DESIblitz.com reserves the right to alter any rules of any contest at any time.