Mouthwatering watermelon recipes will fill you up
Summer is the season of blue skies and lots of sun with high temperatures and there is one fruit that is very refreshing for this time of year – red watermelon.
Red watermelon is a very distinctive and versatile fruit which can be eaten in many different ways. Whichever mood your taste buds may be in, it can be added to sweet or savoury dishes or eaten on its own, freshly cut.
Our bodies can get dehydrated in the warmer months and watermelon is known to effectively help reduce dehydration.
This fruit can also help with many other health benefits including helping prevent high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, heart diseases and heat stroke.
When selecting a watermelon, here are a few tips to find a ripe one.
Firstly, big or small it should feel heavy for the size; next, look for a creamy yellow spot, known as a splotch, and finally, give it a tap on the underbelly of the watermelon, if it makes a deep hollow sound, it means it is ripe.
So, to help you enjoy this fruit in different ways, here are some mouthwatering watermelon recipes to enjoy, to keep you cool and hydrated throughout in the summer months or any other time.
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 6 cups of diced watermelon
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ lime
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dice the avocados, place into a large bowl and squeeze ½ a lime into the mixture and stir
- Add the diced watermelon, 1 tsp vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
- Finally, add the crumbled feta cheese and toss the mixture with a light hand.
This recipe and image originated from Spend with Pennies
Exotic Watermelon Pizza
- 1 ½ cups of Greek yoghurt
- 4 tbsphHoney
- Blackberries to garnish
- Strawberries to garnish
- Chopped mint leaf to garnish
- Cut around 1-inch slice of watermelon starting from the middle and place onto a flat plate
- Separately in a bowl mix 1 ½ cups of Greek yoghurt with 4 tbsp of honey (you can add more if needed)
- Slice the blackberries in half and the strawberries into 4 round slices
- Spread the yoghurt mixture evenly on the watermelon and scatter the blackberries and strawberries on top, and finally garnish with fresh mint leaves
- 4 cups of pureed watermelon
- 3 limes
- Mint leaves
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Blend 4 cups of watermelon until it has become a puree.
- Slice the 3 limes and place into a jug
- Tear mint leaves from the stem and place into the jug along with 4 tbsp of sugar, ice and stir with a wooden spoon (along with stirring try to press down on the limes to release the juice)
- Finally, add your pureed watermelon and lemonade until you fill the top of the jug
- Serve immediately into glasses and enjoy
- Pureed watermelon
- Pureed strawberry
- Lemon juice
- In a blender puree strawberry, diced watermelon and lemon juice
- Pour into popsicle mould and leave to freeze for at least 4 hours
- 1 finely diced watermelon
- ½ diced cucumber
- ½ red, yellow and green pepper
- ½ cup coriander
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the watermelon in small cubes and place into a bowl
- Finely dice the cucumber and peppers and place into the same bowl
- Add 2 tbsp of lime juice and ½ a cup of chopped coriander
- Finally, add salt and pepper according to your taste
This recipe and image originated from The Gunny Sack
These are a few recipes to enjoy using watermelon as your focal ingredient. But never forget to experiment and try new ideas of your own using this very nourishing fruit.