Anything that incorporates dessert is a winning meal for us
The age old mantra that breakfast is the most important meal of the day rings true even today.
In fact, research tells us that breakfast is best served within 30 minutes to an hour of waking up. In general, breakfast before 10 am is a good rule to live by.
This is because the body’s energy levels, including blood sugar, are at their lowest, and require a nutritious boost for the busy day ahead.
Porridge remains one of the most satisfying and filling meals to have at the beginning of the day, and it will kickstart your metabolism.
But to liven things up for your morning snack, DESIblitz presents some of our favourite recipes around, that are both nutritious and healthy.
Baked Apple and Cinnamon Porridge
Anything that incorporates dessert is a winning meal for us. The Bakes Apple and Cinnamon porridge is an indulgent treat for early risers.
- 40g Porridge Oats
- 1 Cooking Apple (thinly sliced)
- 300ml Almond or Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds
- Buckwheat Groats
- In a saucepan, mix apple, porridge oats, cinnamon and milk.
- Boil until the porridge has thickened.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-proof dish and cover with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- Combine the apple, porridge oats, cinnamon and milk in a saucepan and boil until it has thickened.
- Pour the porridge into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle it with the seeds and groats.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.
Coconut Chai-Spiced Oatmeal
Add a Desi touch to your breakfast oats by incorporating chai spices and coconut.
- 240 ml Water
- 150g Rolled Oats
- 3 tbsp Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Chips (toasted)
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
- Pinch Ground Cardamom
- Pinch Ground Pepper
- Boil water and salt in a saucepan.
- Mix in oats and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the mix stand for several minutes and top with coconut milk, chips, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and pepper.
Mango, Banana and Coconut Milk Porridge
Mangos are delectably juicy during warmer weather, and there is no reason why you can’t also enjoy them with oats and maple syrup for a refreshing morning meal.
- 800 ml Water
- 170g Steel-cut Oats
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1½ tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Banana
- 1 Mango
- 3 tbsp Coconut Milk
- 1 lime
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Add oats and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Take off heat and add salt, vanilla essence and maple syrup.
- Top with mango, banana, coconut milk and fresh lime juice.
Medjool Dates, Almond and Raisin Porridge
Medjool dates are well-known for being highly nutritious and for releasing energy throughout the day.
- 150g Rolled Oats
- 120ml Milk
- 120ml Water
- 2-3 Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 5-6 Almonds
- Mix oats, milk and water in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add dates and raisins and stir continuously.
- Leave to simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
Creamy Custard and Egg Porridge
Egg is a great for adding protein to your porridge oats. A filling meal for any individual, this brekkie will last all the way until lunchtime.
- 30g Porridge Oats
- 250ml Water
- 1 Egg
- 1 Banana (mashed)
- Mix water and oats in a saucepan.
- Crack egg in a bowl and whisk separately.
- Stir egg in pan until it turns a creamy colour.
- Heat mixture on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Mix in mashed banana and top with honey.
These delicious porridge recipes are guaranteed to make the rest of your day go wonderfully.
If you don’t have time to make porridge in the morning, then you can prepare the night before and store in the fridge.
Remember, a good, healthy breakfast is vital for a happy, well-balanced lifestyle.