“I was a storm. I was also a man entirely alone in a storm"
Birmingham Repertory Theatre (The REP) in association with DESIblitz bring you the fantastic chance to watch the socio-political play, What Shadows, on Saturday 12th November 2016.
Written by Chris Hannan, What Shadows is a Midlands story that follows the events around Conservative politician Enoch Powell and his attempts to address the issue of immigration in 1960s Britain.
With racial hatred among ethnic communities on the rise, Powell’s famous ‘Rivers of Blood’ speech in 1968 changed the face of immigration forever.
It drew a significant division between Whites and people of Colour resulting in an unprecedented number of hate crimes.
The play follows two separate timelines, one of Enoch putting together his speech in the late 1960s and the second following esteemed Oxford scholar of Caribbean descent, Rosie Cruickshank who interviews Powell in 1992:
What Shadows’ Portrayal of Racism in Britain is Brutally Realistic
“I was a storm. I was also a man entirely alone in a storm. There were forces beyond my control and I was one of them.”
Identity is the hallmark of Hannan’s play.
What does identity mean to an individual, whatever their background or ethnicity?
Ian McDiarmid is chillingly believable as the universally vilified Enoch Powell.
While the play centres around the infamous speech, Hannan is careful to draw out the humanity of his protagonist.
Powell struggles to understand his own place in the world, what England means to him and his own English identity.
Supporting Enoch is an excellent cast that includes Rebecca Scroggs as Rosie Cruickshank, Waleed Akhtar as Saeed, Phaldut Sharma as Sultan, Bríd Brennan as Sofia Nicol, Paula Wilcox as Grace Hughes, and George Costigan as Clem Jones.
Each present to the audience a different layer of identity. With Brexit Britain on our doorstep, What Shadows is a startling reminder of Powell’s incensed prophecy of how communities divide and turn against each other.
What Shadows will run at The REP between 27th October and 12th November 2016.
With The REP’s mission to engage and educate audiences with dramas of politics and current affairs, you have the amazing chance to win a pair of to see this unmissable show!
For more details about What Shadows, please visit The REP website here.
Date and Time: 7.45pm Saturday 12th November 2016.
Venue: Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Broad Street, Birmingham B1 2EP.
Buy Tickets: The REP
Tickets can be purchased by visiting the link above.
FREE TICKETS COMPETITION
We have one pair of tickets to give away to one lucky winner.
To win a pair of FREE tickets for WHAT SHADOWS at The REP, first follow us on Twitter or Like Us on Facebook:
One entry will allow you to win two tickets to the play. Duplicate entries will not be accepted.
The competition closes at 12.00pm on Friday 11th November 2016. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the competition below before entering.
Terms & Conditions
- DESIblitz.com is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries, or entries submitted but not received by DESIblitz.com for any reason, as potential competition winners.
- To enter this competition, you must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The winner will be contacted at the “sender” email address or telephone number that was used to enter the competition and the “sender” will be considered as the sole winner.
- No more than one entry per email address is permitted and will be considered.
- You hereby agree to hold DESIblitz.com and its affiliates, owners, partners, subsidiaries, licensees sponsors and assigns harmless from and against, and hereby waive any right to pursue, any claims of any nature arising in connection with the inclusion in, publication via or display on any DESIblitz.com site or this competition, or any other use authorised under these Terms, of any photo or information submitted to DESIblitz.com by you;
- Your Details – In order to claim a winning entry, the entrant supply DESIblitz.com with his/her legal name, a valid email address, and telephone number.
- Winner – the winning entrant of the competition will be selected using a random number algorithmic process which will select one number from only the correctly answered entries input serially into the system. If details supplied by any winner are incorrect, then their ticket will be offered to the next random number from the winning entries.
- DESIblitz.com will communicate with the winner via the email or telephone provided. DESIblitz.com is not responsible for emails not getting to the user, nor responsible for the quality of the seats, if show times or dates change, and is not responsible for anything that happens before, during, or after the event.
- The winner may not request substitutions of winnings. The winner is solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees, and all such additional costs that may be incurred after or before they receive the tickets.
- DESIblitz.com, nor employees of DESIblitz.com or partners may be held liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury, or any other claims incurred as a result of any winnings of a prize.
- DESIblitz.com is not liable for any loss arising out of or in connection with or resulting from any competition promoted by DESIblitz.com.
- DESIblitz.com does not accept responsibility for: (1) lost, late or undelivered entries, notifications or communications; (2) any technical, computer, on-line, telephone, cable, electronic, software, hardware, transmission, connection, Internet, Web site, or other access issue, failure, malfunction or difficulty that might hinder the ability of an entrant to enter the competition.
- DESIblitz.com disclaims any liability for inaccurate information, whether caused by the Web site, its users or by human or technical errors related to the submission of entries. DESIblitz.com makes no warranties or guarantees in relation to the prizes.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which are governed by the law of England and Wales. DESIblitz.com and all entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise in connection with these Terms and Conditions and submit all such disputes to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, provided that for the exclusive benefit of DESIblitz.com shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in the courts near an entrant’s residence.
- DESIblitz.com reserves the right to alter any rules of any contest at any time.