"Everyone thinks I have one specific lip colour, but I have, like, 10 different nudes."
The Kylie Jenner Lip Liner/Lipstick trend has taken the beauty world by storm.
A gorgeous and plump pout that makes the perfect makeup accessory for any occasion, everyone wants to know the secret behind Kylie’s luscious lips.
The ‘Kylie Jenner Lip Trend’ is a browny pink hue which looks both effortless and natural on the lips, and is a ‘your lips but better’ shade which caters for every complexion.
But since Desi skin tones differ from medium light to medium dark shades, some of us may not be able to find a shade that covers uneven pigmentation on the lips, or even find a particular shade which that us.
So where do we start? Some beauty junkies have been able to achieve the same look as Kylie Jenner using the exact products she uses. These are Mac’s ‘Whirl’ or ‘Soar’ lip liners which are both a browny pink hue, along with a matching Mac’s ‘Velvet Teddy’ Lipstick to complete the look.
Over lining the lips slightly is not only a way of perfecting your pout but also provides a way of adding symmetry to the face if you have uneven lips.
It also prolongs any lipstick you decide to wear, as you are layering which results in a longer lasting finish.
The actual shades which are used on Kylie Jenner are most likely, always out of stock so it may be quite difficult to actually get a similar finish.
But don’t despair as you can easily recreate the look to suit your specific skin tone. As Kylie has mentioned in interviews: “Everyone thinks I have one specific lip colour, but I have, like, 10 different nudes.”
MAC Cosmetics Senior Artist, John Stapleton says: “I’d suggest searching for a pencil that’s pretty pale. Start with a pencil that is just a little bit lighter than your skin tone, like our pencil Naked.
“I’ll start by drawing above the natural lip line, and creating the shape I’m looking for on the skin itself with the pencil.”
“It’s almost like a concealer shade. Then use something that’s close to your natural lip colour. For years, we’ve called Spice the $10 lip injection pencil. I think Kylie uses a colour called Whirl because her tone is a bit more pink, but Spice is a little more brown.”
There are comparable dupes in the drugstore i.e. Superdrug or Boots, which are cheaper, more accessible and perhaps even better than the originals!
- Gosh Lip liner in ‘Antique Rose’ (£4.99) – A beautiful pink brown with enough pigment to mask out any uneven discolouration on the lips and leave a natural shade.
- Maybelline Colour Sensational Lip liner in ‘Velvet Beige’ (£3.99) – A burnt brown red shade which is creamy and soft and lines the lips perfectly.
- Kiko Smart Pencil in ‘311’ (£2.50) – A similar pink brown shade with a slight orange undertone.
- Nyx ‘Mauve’ lip liner (£3.50) – A creamy and long lasting dark pink with a cool undertone.
Get The Look!
- Firstly, follow the natural line of your lips starting from your top or bottom lip.
- Using your lip liner, colour in your entire lip as this will help prolong your lipstick.
- Look straight ahead in your mirror and slightly over draw your lips from both sides of your mouth ensuring they are both symmetrical. This will correct any unevenness and allow your lips to appear fuller. Most importantly, it will look natural and not obvious.
- Finally, add your lipstick and you’re all set to becoming a Desi Kardashian!
With the rise of plump pouts and over lining lips in the Western world, this trend is becoming more and more popular in Bollywood.
The likes of Kareena Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra and even Anushka Sharma are adorning gorgeous lip combinations resulting in a full pout which has everyone going crazy!
Due to the rise of Bollywood celebrity culture, fans often take inspiration from the likes of the aforementioned celebrities, both in terms of makeup and fashion, as they are constantly under the spotlight with the pressure to look perfect.
With all these tips and tricks not only will you be giving the Kardashian clan a run for their money, you will have achieved a look which is timeless, fit for any occasion and is incredibly comfortable.
You’ll be up to date with the latest Bollywood and Western trend of how to maintain the perfect pout and be able to incorporate this look within your daily routine with a few simple steps.