Poonam Pandey gets Protection from Arrest in Porn Case

The Supreme Court has granted protection from arrest to Poonam Pandey in a case related to pornographic videos.

Poonam Pandey gets Protection from Arrest in Porn Case - f

"I am ready to face trial"

On January 18, 2022, the Supreme Court granted protection from arrest to Poonam Pandey in regards to a high-profile porn case.

A bench of Justices Vineet Saran and B V Nagarathna issued a notice to the Maharashtra government on an appeal filed by Poonam against a Bombay High Court order rejecting her anticipatory bail.

The bench said: “Issue notice. In the meanwhile, no coercive action shall be taken against the petitioner.”

Poonam Pandey has been arrayed as an accused in the First Information Report (FIR) alongside Sherlyn Chopra.

The high court had rejected Poonam’s anticipatory bail application on November 25, 2021.

The actress applied with the apex court looking for interim protection against her arrest.

According to reports, Poonam had said that she was not an owner or a partner in any of the OTT platforms.

Poonam Pandey had also mentioned that the complaint against her was about a video portraying her which was available on some platforms.

The plea read: “While the petitioner is not the owner or business partner in any such, websites or online platform, the only allegation against the petitioner is that some video allegedly portraying the petitioner is available on the website.

“In this regard, it is necessary to note that these websites, which allegedly have some videos of the petitioner have already been blocked and disabled by the government of India.”

Shilpa Shetty’s husband Raj Kundra was also accused and arrested by Mumbai police.

In December 2021, the apex court had granted protection from arrest to Raj in connection with an FIR registered against him for allegedly distributing pornographic videos.

He had been booked under several sections of the Indian Penal Code including the Indecent Representation of Women (Prevention) Act and Information Technology Act.

Ever since he was named the key conspirator to the case, Raj has kept a low profile.

Breaking his silence on the controversial case, the businessman issued a statement which read:

“After much contemplation, considering there are many misleading and irresponsible statements and articles floating around and my silence has been misconstrued for weakness.

“I would like to start by stating that I have never been involved in the production and distribution of pornography ever in my life.

“This whole episode has been nothing but a witch hunt.”

Raj Kundra added: “The matter is sub-judice so I cannot elucidate, but I am ready to face trial and have full faith in the judiciary, where the truth will prevail.

“The trolling, negativity and toxic public perception have been very debilitating.

“To set the record straight, I do not hide my face in shame but wish that my privacy is not intruded anymore with this continued media trial.

“My priority has always been my family, nothing else matters at this juncture.”

Ravinder is a Journalism BA graduate. She has a strong passion for all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle. She also likes to watch films, read books and travel.