"I saw everyone making it on TikTok."
If you are a TikTok or Instagram lover you will be aware of the scrumptious, trending dalogna coffee craze. Dalgona coffee is amazing for all of you coffee enthusiasts out there and is the new unique way to make a delicious coffee.
Dalgona coffee originates from Korea and is a creamy, cold beverage. The crema (brown foam) on the coffee is what makes it so famous.
It consists of thick, frothy coffee on top of some milk and takes only a couple of minutes to make. It is enjoyed by many coffee lovers and is perfect for the warmer seasons as it is best served cold.
Student, Serena speaks to DESIblitz about her new love for dalgona coffee, she says:
“Oh my gosh, I literally love it! I saw everyone making it on TikTok and I love coffee, so I thought, why not!
“I am so glad I tried it because now I drink it every other day, it is so good. I doubt my love for it will die down any time soon.”
After following our very easy step by step recipe on how to make dalgona coffee, you will be whipping this up on a daily basis!
DESIblitz presents the trending dalgona coffee, how to make it and other alternatives.
How to Make it
Follow these simple steps to create your very own Instagram-worthy dalgona coffee.
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 3/4 glass of fresh milk
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Add coffee, sugar and water to a mug.
- Whisk it using either a fork, hand whisk or electric whisk until it forms soft peaks and becomes a thick foamy texture.
- Add ice cubes (optional) to a glass and pour in the cold milk up to 3/4 of the glass.
- Add half of the coffee mixture into the milk and you will notice it float on top.
- Mix the frothy topping into the milk and give it a good stir to bring out the full flavour of the dalgona coffee.
- Your dalgona coffee is now ready to be served. Enjoy!
Tip: Do not consume the frothy coffee on its own as it will have a very bitter taste.
Recipe by My Cooking.
Alternative ways to use Dalgona
Dalgona Matcha Latte
Dalgona matcha latte is a unique, tasty beverage and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Unlike the original dalgona coffee, the matcha latte has a nice, sweet taste to it.
The dalgona matcha latte is perfect for those of you who do not particularly like the taste of coffee.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 cup milk
- Using a whisk or a hand mixer, whip the egg white until it becomes frothy and mostly stiff.
- Add the sugar and again, whip it until you notice stiff peaks forming.
- Put in the matcha powder using a sieve and whisk the mixture again.
- Add the milk to a cup and top it with the whipped matcha mixture, enjoy!
Recipe is taken from Proportional Plate.
Dalgona Coffee Pudding
Instead of using dalgona as a drink form, why not incorporate it into a scrummy desert? Unlike the beverages, the desert requires slightly more time and effort.
However, the result is worth it and will have you want it again and again!
Ingredients for Dalgona Candy
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Method for Dalgona Candy
- Heat the sugar in a pan at low heat until the sugar melts.
- Add in the baking soda and mix it until the sugar puffs up.
- Onto a tray with baking paper, pour the mixture onto it.
- Grease a small cookie cutter and press it into the mixture, creating molds.
- Let it cool and set, ready to use later.
Ingredients for dessert
- Dalgona candy
- 6-8 slices of bread
- 1 cup hot, boiled milk
- 4 tbsp and 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/4 cup, 1 tbsp, 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp hot water
Method for dessert
- Cut off the edges of the bread and keep it aside.
- Into a bowl, add the boiled milk, 2 tsp coffee powder and a tbsp of sugar and mix.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture and layer it into a pudding tray. Once you have created the first layer, put it into the fridge.
- In a large bowl, add the whipping cream, vanilla essence and sugar. Whip it until you notice stiff peaks to form and put it into the fridge.
- In another bowl, add 4 tbsp of coffee, 4 tbsp of sugar and the same amount of hot water.
- Mix it all together with a spoon, beating it until it becomes frothy and thick.
- Crush the dalgona candy and put it on top of the first layer of bread.
- For the next layer, add the whipping cream and smooth it down.
- Sprinkle over some more dalgona candy and spread the whipped coffee mixture as the top layer.
- On top of this, sprinkle some more candy, cover it and refrigerate it for at least 3-4 hours.
Recipe is taken from Jesni’s Foodie Days.
So, jump onto the bandwagon and make your dalgona coffee! Whether you want to stick to basics and make the coffee or whether you fancy whipping up the dessert, the choice is yours.
When the lockdown is over, it would be a great idea to satisfy your guests with some dalgona goodness, making their taste buds tingle.