If you're not wearing a red dress, how about wearing a bright, bold red lipstick instead?
Whether it’s your first Valentine’s Day together or your tenth, putting in that extra little effort with your makeup will really make his jaw drop.
Sometimes it’s easy to get into a style rut with your makeup as well as your clothes.
But don’t panic! We at DESIblitz have rounded up our 5 favourite sexy and glamorous makeup looks for you to try this Valentine’s Day.
Dark and Sexy
Opt for a darker take on the red lip as seen on Deepika Padukone with her gorgeous oxblood coloured lips.
This look focuses on the pout, so take great care to emphasise it.
- Start by prepping your lips by gently exfoliating them with a toothbrush before moisturising them with a lip balm.
- Next, add a small amount of concealer and blend over your lips. This will help the lipstick colour to pop and give it something to adhere to.
- Line your lips with a lip liner in the same shade as your lipstick and then fill in your lips. This will help the lipstick last longer.
- Apply lipstick with a lip brush for a more professional finish, blotting gently as you go along to avoid getting a caked look. Try MAC Lipstick in Hang-Up (£15.50).
- Clean the edges using a little bit of concealer and a small brush to get that perfect pout. Add a dab of highlighter on your cupid’s bow to draw attention to your luscious lips!
- Finally,take apart a tissue so that you are left with 1 ply and hold it gently against your lips. Lightly dust some translucent powder over the top of the tissue. This will give your lipstick some extra staying power – and on Valentine’s, you may just need it!
Pair lips with either fresh cheeks or a subtle bronze on the cheeks and winged eyeliner and lashings of mascara to complete this dangerously sexy look.
50 Shades of Grey
With the immense hype of Fifty Shades of Grey, sexy and seductive has taken on a whole new meaning.
Makeup artists Irene Mahmud Khan and Farah Dhukai offer two alluring looks inspired by the film and books. Using grey tones and heavy black eyeliner, you will surely stop your Valentine date in his tracks.
This grey smoky eye look is a great evening look. You can team the ashy eyes with a light pink highlighter and blush to really offset the eyes, keeping the rest of your face girly and neutral.
A cooler look, you can create a gorgeous pinky lip by combining MAC Lip Pencil in Whirl (£12.50) and Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Pure Hollywood ($20.00/£13.00).
You can watch Irene’s full makeup tutorial here:
The Nude Look
The stunning Aishwarya Rai seen here (shot for Verve Magazine) with nude lips, subtle eyes, matching nails and a sexy red dress is enough to make anyone’s jaw drop!
Get this look with fawn coloured lipsticks, such as MUA Matte Lipstick in Fawn Fancy (£1.00) – it looks great on Desi skin.
This looks best with contoured cheekbones. Try Sleek Face Contour Kit (£6.49) and finish by applying a touch of highlighter to the top of the cheeks.
Always take your dress or outfit with you when looking for the perfect nail shade to match. Swatch the polishes to make sure the colour is the closest match.
If you’re not wearing a red dress, how about wearing a bright, bold red lipstick instead as seen on L’Oréal ambassador, Freida Pinto?
She pairs this super bright shade with kohl-lined eyes that have been gently smudged.
This is so that they are not too striking. You can finish off the glowing look with a little pop of colour on the cheeks.
Try L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Pure Reds collection, or alternatively Queen’s Vesuvius Liquid Lipstick in Vesuvian Red (£22). This gives you all the high-shine without the stickiness.
Smoky and Sultry
Mila Kunis is undoubtedly the queen of sexy and smoky eyes – it is her signature look after all!
This look is perfect for the evening and looks great no matter what you are wearing.
- Prep your eyelids with some primer. We like Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion (£16).
- Sweep an eyeshadow with copper tones over the lid and blend out just slightly over the crease. Look for a colour that will add a bit of shimmer for the evening, such as Smog from Urban Decay’s Naked Palette (£38).
- Line your eyes (top and bottom) with a gel liner, like Bobbi Brown’s Long Wear Gel Liner in Black Ink (£18).
- Before it dries out, use a brush and gently blend out the liner to create a smoky effect or a smoky feline look.
- Finish with two coats of mascara.
Keep the rest of the face fresh with a pop of pink blush on the apples of your cheeks to lift the complexion. Keep your lips nude or add a slick of gloss.
Remember ladies – try to keep the focus on only one or two things. You don’t want to look like you are caked in makeup!
These sexy looks are easy to try and will give you some inspiration in recreating these makeup looks for that special night. Make his heart flutter in the wink of an eye!