"we feel conflicted and even guilty in our efforts to juggle our dual identities"
The Asian Woman Festival in association with DESIblitz brings you the wonderful chance to attend the UK’s first ever Asian Woman Festival taking place on Saturday, March 30, 2019.
We have a pair of tickets to give away for the incredible one day festival at The New Bingley Hall in Birmingham.
Presenting culture, conversation and art, the inaugural festival aims to break stereotypes and stigma, along with empowering and celebrating Asian Women from the UK.
Shani Dhanda, the founder of the Diversability Card, Asian Woman Festival and Asian Disability Network is also the director of this impressive event.
British Bindi and Like Minded Females are the festival partners, with DESIblitz being the ‘Official Online Media Partner.’
Let’s give you a sneak preview about the 2019 Asian Woman Festival, including the amazing talent that will be on show:
The concept for the first edition of the Asian Woman Festival 2019 is ‘Identity.’
The event will have something for everyone, showcasing intellectual panel talks, creative masterclasses and super live performances.
This is a unique opportunity for Asian Women to share the same platform to examine, learn and share their opinions on topics such as ‘dual identity’ and ‘cultural expectations in 21st century Britain.’
Arts and Culture
Art lovers will enjoy the specially curated exhibition titled: ‘Musings of Identity.’ This will include exhibiting the artwork of up to thirty different artists.
The exhibition will focus on important issues around ‘female identity’ as well as exploring certain views that may seem old fashioned amongst Asian people in contemporary Britain. Speaking of this Shani Dhanda says:
“Being of Asian origin and living in the UK means not only are we a more socially conservative community due to our traditional and cultural beliefs, but we are constantly bridging two cultures.
“This can mean there are often times in our lives we feel conflicted and even guilty in our efforts to juggle our dual identities.
“Until now, there hasn’t been an opportunity to talk about how living in contradiction becomes second nature.”
The event will provide the perfect opportunity for individuals to open up about difficult taboo topics like racism, disability, sexuality, equality and relationships, especially amongst the younger generations.
Shani who was born with Brittle Bone Disease, a rare genetic condition bravely mentions:
“I regularly speak on discussions around disability, intersectionality and inclusion matters, driven by the undeniable impulse to make challenge perceptions and create positive change by my everyday lived experience of feeling excluded and underrepresented in society.
“I’ve never had a space to talk about all the features that make up my whole identity, so I created it – because true diversity is intersectional.”
The Asian Women Festival, the first of its kind in the UK will facilitate a thought-provoking dialogue with a fantastic selection of genuine and likeminded people, addressing the issues Asian Women and girls face today.
Shay Grewal from BBC London and the BBC Radio WM will lead the way as the host of the event.
The festival line-up includes singer-songwriter Amrit Kaur Lohia (performer), award-winning spoken word artist Jaspreet Kaur (keynote talk), along with many other big names.
Not to be Missed
Everyone attending will also get to roam around an energetic festival bazaar, which will sell the work of Asian female entrepreneurs and creatives.
Attendees will no doubt have the chance to meet and greet with some of the distinguished guests at the event.
This special event, which is happening for the first time in the UK is open to people from all walks of life, especially for those who want to be part of the discussion and talks.
With so much on offer in one single day, this terrific event is one not to be missed.
The Asian Woman Festival sponsored by the Asian Business Chamber of Commerce and Mr Singh’s will take place at The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham on March 30, 2019.
For booking tickets, sponsorship enquiries and further information about the event check the website here.
Date and Time: Saturday, March 30, 2019, at 11:00 – 19:00
Venue: The New Bingley Hall, 1 Hockley Circus, Birmingham, B18 5PP
Buy Tickets: Asian Woman Festival 2019
Tickets can be purchased by visiting the link above.
FREE TICKETS COMPETITION
We have one pair of tickets to give away to one lucky winner.
To win a pair of FREE tickets to attend ASIAN WOMAN FESTIVAL 2019, first follow us on Twitter or Like Us on Facebook:
One entry will allow you to win two tickets to the event. Duplicate entries will not be accepted.
The competition closes at 12 pm on Friday, March 22, 2019. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the competition below before entering.
Terms & Conditions
- DESIblitz.com is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries, or entries submitted but not received by DESIblitz.com for any reason, as potential competition winners.
- To enter this competition, you must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The winner will be contacted at the “sender” email address or telephone number that was used to enter the competition and the “sender” will be considered as the sole winner.
- No more than one entry per email address is permitted and will be considered.
- You hereby agree to hold DESIblitz.com and its affiliates, owners, partners, subsidiaries, licensees sponsors and assigns harmless from and against, and hereby waive any right to pursue, any claims of any nature arising in connection with the inclusion in, publication via or display on any DESIblitz.com site or this competition, or any other use authorised under these Terms, of any photo or information submitted to DESIblitz.com by you;
- Your Details – In order to claim a winning entry, the entrant supply DESIblitz.com with his/her legal name, a valid email address, and telephone number.
- Winner – the winning entrant of the competition will be selected using a random number algorithmic process which will select one number from only the correctly answered entries input serially into the system. If details supplied by any winner are incorrect, then their ticket will be offered to the next random number from the winning entries.
- DESIblitz.com will communicate with the winner via the email or telephone provided. DESIblitz.com is not responsible for emails not getting to the user, nor responsible for the quality of the seats, if show times or dates change, and is not responsible for anything that happens before, during, or after the event.
- The winner may not request substitutions of winnings. The winner is solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees, and all such additional costs that may be incurred after or before they receive the tickets.
- DESIblitz.com, nor employees of DESIblitz.com or partners may be held liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury, or any other claims incurred as a result of any winnings of a prize.
- DESIblitz.com is not liable for any loss arising out of or in connection with or resulting from any competition promoted by DESIblitz.com.
- DESIblitz.com does not accept responsibility for: (1) lost, late or undelivered entries, notifications or communications; (2) any technical, computer, on-line, telephone, cable, electronic, software, hardware, transmission, connection, Internet, Web site, or other access issue, failure, malfunction or difficulty that might hinder the ability of an entrant to enter the competition.
- DESIblitz.com disclaims any liability for inaccurate information, whether caused by the Web site, its users or by human or technical errors related to the submission of entries. DESIblitz.com makes no warranties or guarantees in relation to the prizes.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which are governed by the law of England and Wales. DESIblitz.com and all entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise in connection with these Terms and Conditions and submit all such disputes to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, provided that for the exclusive benefit of DESIblitz.com shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in the courts near an entrant’s residence.
- DESIblitz.com reserves the right to alter any rules of any contest at any time.