a journey through the musical heritage of India
Desiblitz have teamed up with the Town Hall & Symphony Hall Birmingham to offer two lucky readers the chance to each win a weekend ticket to three Mother India concerts in Birmingham on 9th, 10th and 11th April 2010!
The weekend will see a range of world class musical masters taking audiences on a journey through the musical heritage of India, from the mystic heights of classical traditions via Anglo-Indian classical fusion to cutting-edge contemporary Asian remixes.
Santoor maestro Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, charismatic Sarod players Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan, ‘extreme cellist’ Matthew Barley and former World Champion turntablist DJ Tigerstyle are amongst the artists taking part in Mother India.
The event will also feature free-stage events including acclaimed vocalist Sanchita Pal performing at the launch of new Asian chill series Mid-day Mantra and a session by the Arun Ghosh Sextet. Other artists set to take part in future Mid-day Mantras include rising stars Soumik Datta, Faheem Mazar and Indo-Irish band Milun.
Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, is widely regarded as a musical visionary and the pre-eminent maestro of Kashmiri hammered dulcimer, the Santoor. Initiated into music from the age of five by his father the singer Pandit Uma Dutt Sharma, Shivkumar Sharma learnt and mastered the Santoor. Now one of India’s most respected classical musicians, Shivkumar Sharma has penned music for many hit Bollywood films and is the recipient of national and international awards.
Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan can trace their musical heritage back five generations and continue the family tradition of playing the Sarod – a popular sitar-like North Indian stringed instrument – as learnt from their father, legendary musician Ustad Amjad Ali Khan. Amaan Ali Khan said of their forthcoming collaborative performance with Matthew Barely,
“It is a great honour for us to perform at Town Hall in a festival of this nature. Our journey together with Matthew has evolved and today, we understand each other’s minds and music”
Originally lasting 163 minutes, the hit Bollywood movie, Mother India, charts the story of Radha, an inspiring villager who raises her two small sons on her own after her husband (Raj Kumar) is maimed in an accident. To reflect this epic film during this special weekend; themes of poverty, single parenting, community stigma, lack of education or opportunities and dis-empowerment are all framed by a contemporary electronic and strings based score, written by turntablist DJ Tigerstyle.
In a fitting close to the weekend, Mother India – 21st Century Remix (MI21) takes place at Town Hall on Sunday 11 April. A re-interpretation of the Indian cinema classic as a 45 minute silent movie with new musical score will be performed live by DJ Tigerstyle, drummer David Shaw and cellist Matt Considine with Josh Ford as visual editor.
Completing the weekend is a conversation between audience and artists led by Indy Hunjan of producers Kalaphool which will take place in the auditorium after the performance.
So for lovers of amazing classical Indian instrumental music intermixed with sounds of ethnic electronica, this is one weekend of gems not to be missed!
FREE TICKETS COMPETITION
The competition closed on 8th April 2010 at 2.00pm.
The winners that selected the correct answer to the question: When was the Bollywood film Mother India first released?
The two lucky winners were:
Terms and conditions for the competition were as follows.
Terms & Conditions
- DESIblitz.com is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries, or entries submitted but not received by DESIblitz.com for any reason, as potential competition winners.
- To enter this competition , you must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The Winners will be contacted at the “sender” email address that was used to enter the competition and the “sender” will be considered as the sole winner.
- No more than one entry per email address is permitted and will be considered.
- You hereby agree to hold DESIblitz.com and its affiliates, owners, partners, subsidiaries, licensees sponsors and assigns harmless from and against, and hereby waive any right to pursue, any claims of any nature arising in connection with the inclusion in, publication via or display on any DESIblitz.com site or this competition, or any other use authorised under these Terms, of any photo or information submitted to DESIblitz.com by you;
- Your Details – In order to claim a winning entry, the entrant supply DESIblitz.com with his/her legal name, a valid email address, and telephone number.
- Winners – the winning entrants of the competition will be selected using a random number algorithmic process which will select two numbers from only the correctly answered entries input serially into the system. If details supplied by any winner are incorrect, then their ticket will be offered to the next random number from the winning entries.
- DESIblitz.com will communicate with the winners via the email provided. DESIblitz.com is not responsible for emails not getting to the user, nor responsible for the quality of the seats, if show times or dates change, and is not responsible for anything that happens before, during, or after the event.
- Winners may not request substitutions of winnings. All winners are solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees, and all such additional costs that may be incurred after or before they receive the tickets.
- DESIblitz.com, nor employees of DESIblitz.com or partners may be held liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury, or any other claims incurred as a result of any winnings of a prize.
- DESIblitz.com is not liable for any loss arising out of or in connection with or resulting from any contest promoted by DESIblitz.com.
- If the specified prize becomes unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, DESIblitz.com may at its discretion only substitute a prize of like or equal value.
- DESIblitz.com does not accept responsibility for: (1) lost, late or undelivered entries, notifications or communications; (2) any technical, computer, on-line, telephone, cable, electronic, software, hardware, transmission, connection, Internet, Web site, or other access issue, failure, malfunction or difficulty that might hinder the ability of an entrant to enter the competition.
- DESIblitz.com disclaims any liability for inaccurate information, whether caused by the Web site, its users or by human or technical errors related to the submission of entries. DESIblitz.com makes no warranties or guarantees in relation to the prizes.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which are governed by the law of England and Wales. DESIblitz.com and all entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise in connection with these Terms and Conditions and submit all such disputes to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, provided that for the exclusive benefit of DESIblitz.com shall retain the right to bring proceedings as to the substance of the matter in the courts near an entrant’s residence.
- DESIblitz.com reserves the right to alter any rules of any contest at any time.