It is one of the most effective ways to get ripped forearms.
Dumbbell exercises are one of the most popular methods of training to help with boosting strength and building muscle.
Proportion and symmetry are the two most important features to achieve a perfectly toned body.
This will remain incomplete if arms are not weight trained.
Dumbbells are widely used for strength training.
Not only do they promote the growth of lean muscle mass, but they also boost the strength and conditioning of the muscles.
Arm and shoulder strength is important for men and women as it allows one to perform any task without the need to ask for help.
This type of exercise makes daily activities much more simple.
Along with the main benefit of increasing arm strength, they provide other benefits.
- Promoting Weight Loss – promotes the calorie burning mechanism for a leaner appearance.
- Boosts Energy Levels – increases the level of endorphins produced, which helps you feel relaxed. They also improve sleep quality.
- Better Body Mechanics – correct posture, improving balance and coordination comes from training the arms.
Dumbbells are a basic weight training equipment that is easy to get a hold of. They can be used at home or in the gym.
They are the best way to work the major muscle groups of the arm.
Dumbbell exercises not only increase muscle mass and strength but also help in enhancing overall fitness and athletic performance.
The versatility of a dumbbell provides more ways to train to improve the muscles in different parts of the arm.
Use two dumbbells of a weight you feel comfortable using.
Increase in weight as you begin to find the previous weight too easy to manage.
With the help of Desi fitness YouTubers, we explore five easy dumbbell exercises which are effective in building muscle and strength.
It is one of the most effective ways to get ripped forearms.
Hammer curls are designed to target the forearms, shoulders and traps.
The hammer curl exercise is a variant of the standard dumbbell curl because it reduces stress and fatigue of the arms.
They target both sections of the forearms, this makes it a well-rounded arm workout to develop muscle.
How to do Hammer Curls
- Hold two equally weighted dumbbells in each hand.
- Stand up straight with your arms on your sides and chest pushed out slightly.
- Hold the dumbbells so that the knuckles face away from the body and the thumb leads the motion of the hand.
- Contract the biceps and raise the dumbbell upwards until biceps become fully contracted and at shoulder level.
- Hold the position for a few seconds before slowly lowering the dumbbell to the starting position.
- Repeat 15 to 30 times with both hands.
Overhead Triceps Extension
This dumbbell exercise is one of the most effective dumbbell exercises to enhance strength and muscle mass.
It is a workout solely designed to target one muscle: the triceps.
Specifically, it works the long head of the triceps muscle beginning from the back of the arm and ending at the elbow.
Wrist flexibility is also boosted as it strengthens the wrist.
This exercise is well-rounded for all environments. It can be done standing at home or sitting on a gym bench elevated at 45 degrees.
How to do Overhead Tricep Extensions
- Stand upright with feet placed shoulder-width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell directly over your head with your arm extended.
- Slowly fold the elbow and lower the dumbbell behind your head.
- Raise back to the starting position.
- Repeat 15 to 30 times with both arms.
Decline Seated Bicep Curls
It is an exercise which is specifically designed for the fast growth of muscles.
This move with the dumbbells completely activates the whole of the bicep, promoting rapid growth.
Adjust the bench to a 45-degree angle and sit on the bench.
Hold a dumbbell in each hand and extend freely at both sides to be in the correct starting position.
This will require the use of an adjustable angle bench. It doesn’t matter if you do not have one, you can perform regular bicep curls while sitting.
Make sure that your arms are fully outstretched if you are adapting the exercise for home.
How to do Decline Seated Bicep Curls
- Keep both elbows close to the body.
- Slowly curl your right arm towards your shoulder and let the biceps fully contract.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and slowly lower the dumbbell to your sides.
- Repeat the same with the other arm.
- Repeat the action 15 to 30 times with both arms.
Named because this exercise combines six movements into one exercise using dumbbells.
The exercise works your should muscles and arms.
It is performed standing and requires good space around you. So, if doing it at home stay clear of any furniture, doors or walls.
Instructions must be followed carefully to get optimal results from this exercise.
The exercise can get tough pretty quickly depending on how many reps you do and the pace. Therefore, using a lighter pair of dumbbells is advised to start with until you build your strength further.
How to do the Six Ways
- Stand holding two dumbbells at your sides.
- Do the first movement which is a lateral raise bring your arms outwards.
- Next, bring the dumbbells forwards keep your arms at the same level.
- Then, go up into an overhead raise, keeping your arms straight.
- Then bring your arms back in line with your face and then back to the lateral raise.
- Finally, bring your arms down to the sides. Repeat this at least 10 times or more.
This exercise isolates the biceps and specifically works on them.
The concentration curl forces the biceps to work harder because the arm is rested on the inner thigh which prevents using momentum to curl the dumbbell.
Working the biceps harder means that it involves lower weights or reps than traditional bicep curls.
Although this exercise requires a bench, it can be adapted for the home by using a chair instead.
How to do Concentration Curls
- Sit on the edge of a bench or chair and hold a dumbbell you feel comfortable using in one hand of your choice.
- Rest the upper arm of the chosen hand against the inner thigh.
- Keep your back straight while performing the exercise.
- Curl the dumbbell towards your chest while making sure that the forearm is at a 45-degree angle.
- After holding the position for a few seconds, slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat 20 to 30 times.
- Switch arms and repeat the process.
These are five of the most effective dumbbell exercises that can be done at the gym or home.
The simplicity of these exercises makes them suitable for anyone to try.
However, do make sure you are of good health to do these exercises. If in doubt consult your medical professional before doing any of these exercises.
With just a set of dumbbells and this guide, you can build muscle, increase strength and improve your overall health effectively.