many of the workouts at home do not need the use of expensive equipment
Today, a busy lifestyle is something which is common for many people, which is why people are choosing to exercise and get fit at home.
While going to the gym is the easiest way for anyone to achieve their fitness goals, working out at home is a great alternative.
There are many exercises which you would do at the gym that can be very effectively done at home to achieve the same results.
With gyms, there are limitations which you can avoid at home. Including cutting out the travel time, exercise at any time of the day and avoid the frustration you get from those hogging the equipment.
Working out at home provides flexibility and a saving on gym membership fees. Plus many of the workouts at home do not need the use of expensive equipment.
A home workout is good as some exercises can be performed without the use of equipment.
It is also very versatile, meaning that they can be adapted to make them easier or harder depending on your preference.
Dumbbells can also be used for home workouts but we are focusing on exercises that do not need any equipment usually found in a gym.
With the help of Desi fitness gurus and even Bollywood celebrities, we look at 10 body workouts which will help you effectively get fit at home.
It is the most well-known home exercise, but also it is very effective, especially since it does not require any equipment.
Performing press-ups use multiple muscle groups targeted around the shoulder joints for maximum growth and strengthening.
It also improves upper body strength as the pectoral muscles are strengthened as a result.
The Press-Up is also versatile, it can be altered to make it more difficult for those who want a challenge or can be made easier for beginners.
How to do a Press-Up
- Get into the position with your hands placed shoulder-width apart.
- Make sure your back is flat, so a straight line forms from your head to heels.
- Lower your body until your chest is an inch from the ground, making sure palms remain flat.
- Explosively drive up by fully extending your arms.
The Dead Bug speeds progress when it comes to achieving a strong, flat stomach.
It works on your core stabilisers, not just abs when your legs are extended and hovering your heels.
It improves the core muscles without putting extra strain on your back.
A multitude of benefits makes the exercise one of the most effective when getting fit at home.
How to do a Dead Bug
- Lie on your back with hands above you and feet up so knees are at 90 degrees.
- Straighten your leg until your heel is an inch from the floor.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
Another essential home workout to improve abs and the core.
It is a common misconception that Crunches burn stomach fat.
Instead, they tone the abdominal and oblique muscles making them tighten into the shape of a six-pack.
Lifting your legs make Crunches easier as they place extra weight on the stomach muscles and reduce momentum.
How to do Crunches
- Lie flat on your back with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Place your hands on either side of your head.
- Push your lower back into the ground as you lift your shoulders above the ground.
- Make sure that your lower back stays in contact with the ground at all times.
- Lift up until your abs become tense.
- Return to the starting position.
This exercise is shown by Bollywood star and entrepreneur Shilpa Shetty who really looks after her health with this kind of training.
The mountain climber exercise is perfect for HIIT (High-intensity interval training). They are a proper full body workout which can be performed from home.
It gets your heart rate up quickly while also targeting every muscle group in the body to promote fat burn.
They benefit muscular and cardiovascular fitness by increasing strength, flexibility and blood circulation.
How to do the Mountain Climber
- Start in the press-up position and bring your right knee towards your chest.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat with the other foot to make one full rep.
Planks are a core exercise which keeps you injury-free and builds the abs that you’re after.
Getting into position is straightforward, but holding the position takes strength and endurance.
It improves balance as well as working the glutes and hamstrings.
This simple exercise truly is a full lower body workout.
How to do a Plank
- Get into a press-up position, but rest on your forearms rather than your hands.
- Ensure that your back is straight and tense abs and glutes.
- Hold the position for as long as you can without allowing your hips to sag.
Similar to the normal plank, except it is focused towards one side of the body.
The Side Plank is excellent for targeting the small muscle of your lower back and over time it will strengthen.
It is one of the most effective exercises when getting fit at home because it is also crucial to improving spine health as well as strengthening the obliques.
How to do a Side Plank
- Lie on your left side with your legs straight and prop yourself onto your elbow.
- Tense your core and raise your hips until the body forms a straight line.
- Hold the position while breathing deeply for a few seconds.
- Roll over and repeat on the other side.
An exercise which requires explosive power as it requires you to jump and fully extend yourself.
It works numerous muscles in the lower body, such as the quadriceps, the hamstrings and lower back.
All of which build up and become more toned over time.
It is an exercise which does not need any equipment, it just needs a large floor space.
How to do Jump Squats
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and with your arms by your sides.
- Shift your hips backwards while moving downwards.
- Continue to lower yourself until you feel that your heels are about to lift off.
- Explode upwards, fully extending your ankles, knees and hips at the same time.
- Ensure that your feet remain parallel with the ground.
- Land with your knees slightly bent to prevent potential knee injuries.
Side Lying Hip Abduction
It is an important exercise as the hip abductors are often forgotten which contribute to our ability to stand, walk and rotate with ease.
Not only does this exercise help with achieving a toned backside, but they also help prevent pain in the hips and knees.
They are great for men and women of all ages.
It leads to better muscle quality as it activates them, especially when many people spend a lot of time sitting which leads to weak gluteus muscles.
How to do the Side Lying Hip Abduction
- Lie on your side with legs extended away from your body.
- Hold your feet together in the neutral position.
- Hips and shoulder should be aligned vertically to the floor and head aligned with your spine.
- Gently raise the upper leg while keeping the knee extended.
- Continue raising the leg until you begin to feel a slight tension in the lower back.
- Slowly return your raised leg.
- Roll over and complete with the opposite leg.
This exercise can be performed at home with the use of a chair or table and targets the upper body.
The primary emphasis is on the triceps as they are mainly used when doing each dip.
Continued exercise will improve and strengthen the arms, chest and shoulders. Bench dips will increase muscle mass and become more toned.
Bench dips build up upper body mass at a faster rate than press-ups as a result of the position of the hands and body.
How to do Bench Dips
- Stand to face away from the table, grab it with both hands at shoulder-width.
- Extend your legs out in front of you.
- Lower your body by flexing at the elbows until your arm and forearm create a 90-degree angle.
- Use your triceps to lift yourself back to the starting position.
Standing Calf Raises
It is a very simple exercise which has massive results.
Standing calf raises mainly focus on the calves, which can increase muscle mass significantly.
It also boosts ankle strength because you are extending the ankles against resistance.
The exercise is extremely convenient, which means it can be performed anywhere in the house.
How to do Standing Calf Raises
- Stand approximately with your feet hip-width apart near a wall to help you balance when exercising.
- Slowly lift your heels off the floor, keeping your knees extended and without rotating your feet.
- Hold your raised position briefly.
- Slowly lower your heels back down.
These exercises are extremely simple and effective to do and can be done in the comfort of your own home.
Repeated exercise will lead to fantastic results providing you focus on your form and consistency of the exercises.
The ten exercises improve fitness to different parts of the body and require no equipment.
Follow these step by step guides to achieve your fitness goals without the need to step outside of your home.