Allow these natural ingredients to penetrate your scalp
For every woman, their hair is the most important part of their look; however, it is often the most neglected through severe heat and styling damage.
Have you ever looked at someone and wished to have their long, silky and shiny locks?
For some women, long thick tresses is a part of their family genetics while others have to take extra care of their hair to maintain their short tresses.
A busy lifestyle, stress, pollution, kitchen and household chores and more have made growing and maintaining long hair a challenge. Yet with simple tips and tricks, you can easily achieve it.
Trying various methods all at once in hope of immediate effect does not work, rather you need to identify the problem and figure out what works best for your tresses.
One should keep in mind that the following tips will not work wonders within days. Everything has a natural process, similarly, growing and maintaining long locks takes time and patience.
We explore the top ten natural remedies to help you achieve the hair you have always wanted.
Coconut oil has been termed as the all-in-one solution provider for hair, skin, diet, nails and more.
This powerhouse product has been deemed as the best solution provider to all hair problems whether it is dandruff, entanglement, dryness, or growth, coconut oil is a must-have.
The reason why coconut oil is so healthy is because it contains 94% fat which helps provide tresses with all the beneficial nutrients required to achieve healthy hair.
The vitamins and essential fatty acids found in coconut oil replenish the scalp and help to remove chemical sebum build-up from hair follicles.
- Coconut oil
- Use your fingers to gently massage the oil into your scalp.
- Warm-up a towel by soaking it in hot water.
- Wring the towel to get any excess water out and wrap it around your head.
The heat from the towel will make the oil more effective. You can also apply it for about 2 hours before shampooing as normal.
For the best results, coconut oil needs to be applied 1-2 times a week.
However, certain people find coconut oil to be unsuitable for their hair, as it causes dandruff, thus if you find dandruff in your hair after applying coconut oil, stop using it.
This hot towel technique is also useful after any application of all types of oil.
This oil is an old beauty treatment method used by different people. Many people have removed their expensive beauty products from their cabinets and shelves after using castor oil.
The natural antibacterial properties, high vitamin E, minerals, proteins, and omega-6 and 9 which (beneficial fatty acids) are found in castor oil making it the best product for hair and skin.
- 3 tbsp castor oil
- Use your fingers to spread the oil between your roots and across your scalp.
- Massage your head with your fingertips using small, circular motions.
- Wrap your head with a hot towel and later wash your hair with shampoo.
You can either leave the oil in overnight or apply it for 2 hours. The castor oil needs to be applied 1-2 times a week for best result.
Castor oil helps enrich your roots and nourish your scalp to boost hair growth.
Applying onion juice may sound absurd but it is effective when it comes to hair growth.
Onions are high in sulphur content, which helps reduce breakage and thinning of hair. Sulphur is essential for the regeneration of hair follicles.
Onion juice nourishes your hair follicles and replenishes the nutrients your scalp might have lost over time.
- One onion
- 1 tbsp Castor oil/ Coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Take one onion, and peel and chop it finely.
- Grind it in a food processor or blender.
- Pass this pulp through a thin cloth or through a metal sieve to strain out the juice into a bowl.
- Add the castor or coconut oil and water and stir.
- Soak a cotton pad into the mixture and dab it onto your scalp.
- Massage your scalp gently with your fingers, for about 10 minutes.
- Leave the juice in your hair for another 15 minutes to an hour.
- Wash it out with lukewarm or cold water and a mild shampoo and conditioner.
For the best results apply this concoction once every week. It is better to make it fresh every time you use this method.
However, the biggest problem with this method is the smell of onion juice, thus, by adding different oils into the onion juice will help reduce the smell.
If some people see dryness after using onion juice then you can add honey into the mixture.
Immediate effects can be achieved through onion juice if you can bear its odour.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has many applications as a home remedy. One of these is for hair as it helps improve the health of your scalp, strengthens hair, and enhances shine.
It is known for being rich in vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and B which are great for hair.
Some also claim it contains alpha-hydroxy acid which helps exfoliate the scalp promoting hair growth.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups of water
- Combine apple cider vinegar and water in an old shampoo bottle.
- Shampoo hair as you normally would.
- Towel dry your hair, then apply the apple cider vinegar tonic throughout your hair from roots to ends.
- Let sit for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp letting it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before shampooing.
This method helps increase circulation and stimulates hair growth. The best way to know if it’s beneficial for you is to bring it into your hair care routine, and see if it works for you.
The benefits of eggs have long been explored and for good reason.
Whether you use it with other ingredients or by itself, except for its odour, it is one of the most effective ingredients for good skin and hair.
Eggs on the whole offer iron, copper and zinc, as well as a host of vitamins, which are essential for healthy hair.
Biotin and vitamin B7 are especially essential for hair growth and these are found in eggs.
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp castor oil
- Beat the egg well and add 1 tbsp castor oil.
- Apply this mask on your scalp and strands and let it stay for about half an hour.
- Later, rinse your hair with your usual shampoo, and refrain from using a conditioner.
This method should be done once a week for the best results. Using eggs reduces hair loss and ensures hair thickness and strength is maintained.
Bananas are packed with certain vital vitamins and nutrients such as potassium and vitamin A, B, C and E that make them an extraordinary beauty fix.
Antioxidants in bananas can also infuse your scalp and tresses with a stronger defence system. Over time banana masks can lead to stronger hair follicles promoting hair growth.
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp of any oil
- Take a ripe banana and mash it with a fork till it forms a smooth paste.
- Add 1 tsp of honey and 1 tbsp of any oil and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Rub the mask over your scalp and wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and shampoo as normal.
Ensure you wash out the banana mask properly to avoid scalp irritation and dandruff.
You can mix various ingredients with a banana to make some amazing hair masks and see a change in your hair for the better.
Yoghurt is a natural hair care ingredient which is rich in vitamins and fatty acids that are essential for healthy hair.
But does it promote hair growth?
Yoghurt contains lactic acids, which are great for cleansing the scalp and clearing away dead skin cells to help your hair follicles grow.
It controls hair fall by improving scalp health and reducing the clogging of follicles.
It also balances the pH levels of your scalp by regulating sebum production which helps with hair growth.
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine the ingredients.
- Apply the mask onto your hair from the scalp to the tips.
- Leave the mask on for 15 -20 minutes and wash your hair as you would normally do so.
Apply this treatment once a week to restore, grow and maintain your hair.
This hair mask is great for controlling oil production in your scalp and thereby removing clogged follicles.
Avocado tastes good in salads or sushi but did you know that they are even better for your hair?
Yes, you read that right!
Avocado is a great source of biotin which helps hair to grow more healthy.
It also provides moisturising and nourishing benefits because they contain natural oils and both poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
- 1 avocado
- 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Use a fork to mash one full avocado in a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil and mix.
- Apply the mask starting from the tips of the hair and work your way up to the scalp.
- Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse out the mask in the shower, then shampoo and condition as normal.
Avocado makes a growth-enhancing hair mask that will leave your hair long, silky and soft to touch.
Vitamin E is often called a magic ingredient also for our skin, tresses and eyes.
It is known for its antioxidant properties hence, this particular vitamin can repair damaged hair follicles.
Vitamin E can also prevent hair loss which helps maintain long hair because it promotes smoother blood circulation and fights brittleness.
- 4 capsules of vitamin E
- 1 egg
- Beat the egg until fluffy and add a dash of vitamin E gel (extracted from the capsules) to it.
- Mix thoroughly and apply to your hair.
- Wait for 45 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo.
For better results, apply this mask 1-2 times a week. If you do not want to bear the smell of the egg, you can add honey or any oil into the mixture.
Mayonnaise is an ingredient that you love to apply on bread or have with any fast food so how could it possibly help in hair growth?
A mayonnaise hair mask is considered a great treatment that can potentially leave your strands soft and smooth.
Not only does it fix your damaged hair, but it also helps hair growth. The amino acids in mayonnaise called L-cysteine do this trick.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Apply one cup of mayonnaise, starting from your scalp and working it out to your ends. Use more mayonnaise as needed, making sure that your hair is covered evenly.
- Cover your hair with a cap and wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out thoroughly and shampoo as normal.
For the best results, use the mayonnaise mask once a week to keep your tresses soft and smooth.
Choosing from the ten tips above will bring out a positive change in your hair, as each element has its natural benefits rather than harmful chemicals.
Alongside these remedies, change your diet to a healthier one, aim to de-stress and ensure you receive the maximum hours of sleep required.
Also, if you have been sleeping on a cotton pillowcase then it is time to change to silk ones as it will help prevent entanglement and breakage of hairs.
These additional elements will help promote hair growth. So, what are you waiting for?
Allow these natural ingredients to penetrate your scalp and bring out a positive change for you.