Leeds Man raped Date after meeting on Shaadi.com

A 34-year-old man from Leeds raped his date twice in her London home after meeting through the matchmaking site Shaadi.com.

Man raped Date after meeting on Shaadi.com f

"He went for my tights and pulled them down"

Chinmay Patel, aged 34, of Leeds, was jailed for nine years after he raped a woman he went on a date with after meeting her on Shaadi.com.

He also sexually assaulted another woman he met online.

Southwark Crown Court heard he met the woman through Shaadi.com and they went on a date on February 3, 2017.

Patel and the victim went to a restaurant and visited two bars in the Bayswater area of Paddington where Patel tried to get her drunk by plying her with wine and sambuca.

The woman “made it clear that she did not kiss on first dates”.

However, Patel put his hand up her top. When she said no, he took it out. The pair then kissed. Patel kissed her neck before biting it.

When the woman refused to let Patel come to her home, he became “grumpy”.

The victim told the court:

“He started saying that we’ve been arguing for an hour on the road, it’s cold, his sinus is hurting.”

She eventually allowed him to stay at her flat after he claimed that he needed to travel to Stansted Airport to collect a friend.

But when they entered her flat, Patel went into her room and pushed her clothes off the bed.

The woman recalled: “He tried to take my top off and my hair was getting tangled up.

“He was kissing me, pushing me down, he kept kissing me to stop me from talking.

“I was saying, ‘I have to get out of here, stop, no’.”

Patel then began removing her clothes.

She said: “I would not lie down, I kept trying to get back up but he kept kissing me and pushing me down.

“He managed to take my skirt off. He went for my tights and pulled them down, I said, ‘No, no, no, I don’t want to take them off I don’t want to do this’.”

Shortly after the rape, the woman recounted:

“I was in shock and in panic, no, exhausted. I fell asleep and I think I had heart palpitations.

“It must have been 4 am, his alarm started ringing so I must have woken up around 5:30 am, 6 am, maybe 6:30 am. I was very awake and in shock.

“I felt dirty, didn’t know what to do, got up and washed myself.

“I was thinking, I was confused about how it all happened, I thought, ‘Should I call the police?’

“I was getting panic attacks and trying to normalise myself.

“I was waking up because he had to go to his friend in Stansted, I had my pyjamas and a top on.

“He was looking at his phone and said he had missed his friend at the airport. I didn’t know what to do, I was in shock, I just wanted him to leave.

“I said I was in shock, and this has never happened in my house. He said ‘We were just tipsy’, I said ‘Well I wasn’t’.

“He started to kiss me, I said ‘No, I don’t want to do this’. He started to feel my legs up, trying to take my pyjamas off.

“I said, ‘You don’t take no for an answer, no, no means no’. He said, ‘No, I don’t’.”

“Then I was fighting, he started showing aggression, a growl, I started feeling scared, pyjama bottoms were ripped.”

Patel then raped her a second time.

After the second attack, the woman tried to normalise the situation in a bid to heal her nerves.

While Patel sat in the living room, the victim called a friend, telling her that she was in trouble.

The woman explained: “I was whispering, I said I had went on a date with this guy, I said he is in the living room, I’m in the kitchen, things have happened.

“She didn’t know what I was trying to say.”

A police investigation was launched in March 2017.

Patel was arrested on April 30, 2017, before he was released under investigation.

He was subsequently charged with two counts of rape on July 29.

The court heard that Patel sexually assaulted another woman in Leeds after meeting her on the dating app Hinge.

On July 7, 2020, he bit her and tried to force her legs apart.

Patel was convicted of two counts of rape and two counts of sexual assault on May 14, 2021.

Both victims read out impact statements.

The first victim said: “The incident has ruined my life.

“I’m not the same person I used to be, I’m very closed and guarded now.

“I feel vulnerable and unsafe when I go outside, I feel the need to check if he is behind me.

“I feel unsafe and in danger as he knows my address.”

The woman also said that she had to wait three months for the results of a HIV test following the rapes.

The second woman said:

“I couldn’t look at my own body, I couldn’t even wash my own body without crying.”

Judge Michael Grieve QC said of the first victim:

“You have ruined her life and caused her significant psychological trauma.”

On June 24, 2021, Patel was jailed for nine years and was made to sign the sex offenders’ register for life.

Patel was also banned from contacting his victims, attending their address, or making a profile or sending a message on any dating website or app.

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”