‘Controlling’ Husband ran over Ex-Wife while Trying to Kidnap Her

A 28-year-old man was caught on camera strangling his ex-wife and trying to kidnap her before running over the woman.

'Controlling' Husband ran over Ex-Wife while Trying to Kidnap Her f

"this was serious violence committed in the context of a relationship"

Varinder Singh, aged 28, of Tipton, West Midlands, was jailed for six years for an attack on his ex-wife.

CCTV footage showed Singh strangling the woman into a “semi-consciousness state” in the car park of a shopping centre in Bradford.

In the disturbing clip, the victim was seen struggling with Singh, who had his hands on her throat before she fell on the floor.

Singh then bundled her apparently unconscious body into the backseat of his car before fleeing Broadway shopping centre.

A later clip showed the woman opening the door and trying to flee on the car park ramp.

Singh turned his car around and ran his ex-wife over.

The attack ended when other shoppers intervened.

Singh was held by police after a group of men detained him.

Recorder of Bradford Bryan Cox KC said it was “pure good fortune” that the woman did not suffer any serious physical injuries.

He told Singh: “The reality is that this was serious violence committed in the context of a relationship in which you sought to control and dominate your wife.

“It is self-evident from what you did and indeed from your victim’s statement that these offences will have a lasting and profound effect upon her.

“The CCTV shows you driving your motor car at your victim at some speed. You plainly intended to inflict serious injury.

“It is a matter of pure good fortune that you did not cause much greater physical injuries.”

The victim said she endured flashbacks of the car “running over me” since the incident.

She said Singh was undeterred by the fact that they were in a public place, telling Bradford Crown Court:

“This shows he is capable of anything and I’m not safe.”

Singh was married to the woman at the time but they had separated.

The estranged couple agreed to meet up to discuss their divorce at the shopping centre on August 13.

Ella Embleton, prosecuting, said the meeting was initially amicable. But the woman got upset after Singh took her mobile phone and refused to give it back.

Singh answered “no comment” during his police interview. But he subsequently pleaded guilty to attempted grievous bodily harm with intent, kidnap and assault.

Ayman Khokhar, representing Singh, said his client found it difficult to handle the breakdown of his marriage.

He said: “He appreciates it is a matter of good fortune that his emotional meltdown in that car park did not result in more serious consequences for the complainant.”

Mr Khokhar explained that Singh wanted to return to his family in India and would now face deportation due to the length of his prison sentence.

The barrister added that Singh had described going through “mental torture” at the time and that the meeting would lead to disaster.

Singh had tried to convince his ex-wife to give the marriage another go, however, he lost his patience and sense of self-control.

Mr Khokhar said: “He did not know he was capable of behaving in such a way until it was too late.”

Singh was jailed for six years. An indefinite restraining order was also imposed.

Singh was also banned from driving for six years and told to take an extended retest.

Dhiren is a journalism graduate with a passion for gaming, watching films and sports. He also enjoys cooking from time to time. His motto is to “Live life one day at a time.”

What's New



  • Polls

    Which term describes your identity?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...
  • Share to...