"persons in the community may be very sensitive"
A Canadian Indian man facing sex-related charges has had his picture released in a bid to encourage other victims to come forward.
Satvir Singh Sanghera, aged 49, of Richmond, British Columbia, has been accused of committing sex crimes against vulnerable women and female sex workers.
The case against Sanghera dates back to August 2018.
The Richmond RCMP Serious Crimes Unit had begun an investigation into an individual suspected of committing sex-related crimes.
On December 17, 2019, Sanghera received 14 charges.
The charges include sexual assault, administering a noxious substance, assault, theft, fraud, obtaining sexual services for consideration, transmitting intimate images of a person without consent and possession of child pornography.
According to police, the charges are related to incidents, which are mostly historical in nature. Court documents state that the offences happened between 2015 and 2019.
Police have now released a picture of the Canadian Indian in the hope that those who recognise him or were a victim of his come forward with information.
Police Corporal Dennis Hwang, of the RCMP, said:
“We acknowledge that persons in the community may be very sensitive to seeing the image of Mr Sanghera.
“Our investigators have taken comprehensive steps to assist those victims with health services from our partner agencies in advance of this notification.
“We ask those that may be affected that have not already contacted our detachment to seek professional support.”
Sanghera has been released ahead of court appearances but has been placed under several conditions which include:
- He cannot be at public parks, swimming pools, or community centres where there may be people under the age of 18.
- He cannot engage in work or volunteer activities where there may be people under the age of 18.
- He cannot have contact or be alone with persons who are reasonably believed to be under the age of 18.
- He cannot have contact or communication with any sex trade agency or be alone with anyone who reasonably appears to be engaged in sex work.
- He cannot be alone with any woman who he knows to be, or appears to be impaired by alcohol, drugs or other intoxicating substances.
He appeared in court on January 15, 2020, and is due back in court on January 29.
Anyone who may have information about Satvir Singh Sanghera can contact the police in the area where they live.
Richmond News reported that they can also contact the Richmond RCMP tip line established for this case at 604-207-5185