With holiday season in full swing, don’t let all the alcohol intimidate you
‘Tis the season to be sober.
With alcohol taking a dominant role in the festive season, it can sometimes seem hard to find alternative drinks out there.
However, have no fear; there are in fact some delicious options for holiday drinks out there, which are suitable for anyone who’s not that into drinking.
DESIblitz looks into the non-alcoholic drinks that simply ooze festive spirit.
1. Pink Grapefruit Virgin Margarita
This drink will leave you feeling fancy and is a great treat for the entire family.
The sanding sugar adds an aesthetic kick, as it’s a large-grain decorative sugar.
It can however be substituted with granulated sugar, for those who don’t have sanding sugar on hand.
- 2 tbsp of coloured sanding sugar
- 1 lime
- 6 tsp of pomegranate syrup or grenadine
- 355 ml pink grapefruit juice
- Slice six thin rounds from the middle of a lime and set aside.
- Place the sanding sugar in a plate to make dipping the cups easier.
- Rub the prepared lime wedges around the rims of the glasses.
- Dip each rim in the sugar to coat the glass.
- Pour 1 teaspoon pomegranate syrup into bottom of each of the glasses.
- Place the grapefruit juice and ice cubes into the blender. Process on the highest speed until the ice is fully crushed and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the frozen mixture into glasses, and stir well to combine with syrup.
- Garnish with leftover lime rounds, and serve.
2. Non-Alcoholic Kahlua-cino
Coffee lovers will really enjoy this aromatic drink.
Although it is usually infused with Kahlua, it can substituted with almond extract, and still taste great.
- 180 ml non fat milk
- 180 ml strong coffee
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 65 g ice
- 4 tsp sugar
- Shaved chocolate, for garnish
- Combine milk and coffee into a blender until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Add almond extract, ice and sugar and continue to puree until it looks frothy.
- Divide the mixture amongst 4 glasses and garnish with shaved chocolate.
3. Non-Alcoholic Mulled Wine
Mulled wine is a seasonal classic. Now with this recipe, you can enjoy if you don’t drink alcohol, or you can just drink it, because it’s pretty delicious.
- 2 L apple juice
- 2 L cranberry drink
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 tsp honey (if you like your ‘wine’ sweet, leave out if not)
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 20 cloves
- First slice the oranges into halves and grate the rind off of half the lemon, then quarter the lemon.
- Stud the cloves into the orange and lemon rinds so that the flavour will infuse better.
- Pour one litre of apple juice and 1 litre of cranberry drink into a large pan with all the other ingredients and make sure to set it to the lowest heat.
- Leave the mixture to heat slowly until it reaches the point where it is starting to steam. This takes about 10 to 20 minutes in total, make sure it does not boil at any point.
- Switch off the heat and serve into glasses.
- If the mixture evaporates quickly, add the second litres of apple juice and cranberry drink and heat again, adding another quarter teaspoon of nutmeg and a tablespoon of honey.
- To create an extra kick, add orange peels into the mixture as it heats up.
4. Pear Tree Cocktail
This sober cocktail has a refreshing taste.
By using the combination of lemon-lime juice and pear juice, it will balance out your taste buds with some tart and some sweet flavours.
Add a mint sprig as a garnish if you’re feeling fancy.
- 15 g ice
- 80 ml cup pear juice
- 2 tbsp Lemon-Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Simple Syrup
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- Plus 1 mint sprig for garnish
- Put all ingredients, minus the sprig of mint in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake until it is well blended, for about 10 seconds. Pour the mixture into glasses, or serve in a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
5. Thick and Rich Hot Cocoa
We’ve all indulged in the standard hot chocolate; however this European-style drinking chocolate is a new experience entirely.
With a rich and creamy texture, this cocoa is a chocolatey delight that offers something different and is still warm enough to enjoy in the winter months.
- 530 ml non fat milk
62 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50 g sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- Combine the milk, cocoa, sugar and cornstarch into a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat. Be sure to keep an eye out, to ensure the milk does not burn. Whisk the mixture continuously until it is steaming.
- Continue to cook it, make sure you are whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil, and then quickly remove it from the heat.
With holiday season in full swing, don’t let all the alcohol intimidate you.
These alternative drinks can still give you the warm fuzzy feeling of the holidays, without all of the hangover headaches after.