"I look forward to seeing local people at the festivities"
Preity Zinta will be coming to Birmingham in November 2023 to help lead the region’s Diwali celebrations.
The former Bollywood star will join Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands and chair of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA), for a weekend of exciting events in conjunction with the Consulate General of India on November 4 and 5, 2023.
Mr Street said: “Diwali is a special time for the Indian diaspora and communities right across our region are looking forward to celebrating the Festival of Lights.
“From the very outset of my time as Mayor, the WMCA has worked closely with local groups and the Consulate General of India to mark this occasion in suitably grand style – with dance, special guests and entertainment.
“This year, events will be spread across the weekend including a star-studded gala dinner at Millennium Point with Bollywood star turned self-made businesswoman Preity Zinta and a cultural programme at Birmingham Town Hall.
“I look forward to seeing local people at the festivities and joining in the celebrations myself.”
The winner of two Filmfare Awards, Preity is most fondly remembered for her role in Veer-Zaara, among many other blockbusters.
Now based in Los Angeles, Preity has achieved success in the business world.
Thanks to her investment interests, production company and co-ownership of the Punjab Kings IPL team, Preity has become one of the richest self-made Indian women in the world.
A former UNAIDS ambassador and member of the UN Foundation’s Global Entrepreneurs Council, she has taken a keen interest in charity work throughout her life.
Preity Zinta is expected to be honoured by some of Birmingham’s leading civic and educational institutions.
Preity’s last UK appearance was over a decade ago when she spoke to Oxford University students at the Oxford Union.
Speaking about her forthcoming visit, Preity said:
“I’m very excited to be part of the Diwali celebrations in Birmingham and look forward to meeting all the wonderful people there – marking the Festival of Lights together.”
- Preity will tour Digbeth – home to Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight’s Digbeth Loc studios, the Creative Content Hub at The Bond and a host of film and media schools. The intention is to showcase the area’s potential for attracting filmmakers from around the globe – including the Bollywood film industry and to explore opportunities to forge links and partnerships.
- Drinks and networking reception at Millennium Point.
- Evening gala dinner at Millennium Point.
- A Diwali Dinner with Preity Zinta at Birmingham’s Millennium Point which is expected to attract over 200 attendees including business leaders, political dignitaries and special guests from the UK, India and global Indian diaspora with evening speeches and entertainment.
- Cultural Programme at Birmingham Town Hall – a free-of-charge Community Event open to the public.
- Preity Zinta is set to make a guest appearance on stage to light the divas.