If the main focus is the lips, the rest of the make up should be kept minimal.
Have you ever wondered how Sonam Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor Khan and Deepika Padukone always look so perfect on the red carpet?
Well wonder no more, with our step-by-step guide we will deconstruct the make-up looks of our three B-Town beauties and explain how you too can achieve these looks:
“Accentuating the eyes are the key to a perfect Bollywood look,” says Micky Contractor, Bollywood’s go to make-up artist for over 30 years and this is exactly what Sonam Kapoor has done in our first red carpet look.
Here’s how to get the Sonam Kapoor look:
- Start with using a long lasting foundation. Estée Lauder’s Double Wear foundation (£28.50) has that staying power, a whopping 15 hours of it! Follow this by a medium concealer such as Bourjous Healthy Mix (£7.99).
- Prime the eyes. This will enhance eye shadows and keep eye creases at bay. Urban Decay Primer Potion (£15.00) does the job perfectly.
- Apply the eye shadow. Use a black eye shadow on the lid and blend this out. Apply a dark brown shade in the sockets of the eye such as MAC’s Satin Taupe and Charcoal Brown (£12.50) – blend well.
- Line the waterline with black Khol. To get Sonam’s look use MAC’s Khol Eyeliner (14.99). Also apply the khol on the upper and lower lash line. Use Bobbi Brown Eye Smudge Brush (£24.00) to smudge out the khol, creating a sexier look.
- Get that beautiful sparkle on the eye. Gently pat a golden pigment such as MAC Antique Gold Glitter Pigment (£17.00) in the middle of your eyelid. Use what is remaining on the brush under the lower lash line.
- Apply false eyelashes. Illamasquas Eye lashes No.16 (£12.00) are the perfect intensity eyelashes for this look.
- Use a pink blush on the apples of the cheek. Chanel Joues Contraste Accent Blush (£31.00) is a similar colour to what Sonam is wearing.
- Finish off with a nude lip such as Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick in Pink Brown (£6.99). Sweep over some gloss and your sexy, sultry Sonam Kapoor look is complete.
Our next red carpet look is one from Deepika Padokone. Her make up is immaculate yet natural and can easily be achieved with our steps below.
- Exfoliate and prep the skin. Use a good quality moisturiser such as Khiels Abyssine Cream with SPF23 (£40.50).
- Foundation. Deepika is wearing a medium coverage foundation giving her a natural looking finish. To get coverage like this use Diorskin Nude foundation (£32.00). To get a natural looking application, celebrity make-up artist Lisa Pelayo recommends using a Beauty Blender Sponge (£16.00). With the Beauty Blender you will get an even, buildable coverage, perfect for achieving Deepika’s look.
- Get perfect brows like Deepika. Use Benefit’s Brow Zings Kit (£29.50) to shape and fill your brows. Follow by an eye shadow palette with deep browns and rich nudes, Bobbi Brown’s Old Hollywood Palette Limited Edition (£59.00) is perfect for this.
- Line the upper eyelid. Apply mascara to the lashes.
- Contour the cheekbones. Apply Sleek Contouring Kit (£6.49) on the temples of the head and also use a light peach blush on the cheeks.
- Deepika is wearing a nude lip, something she is regularly seen wearing on the red carpet. She has opted for a peachy brown nude shade. Naked 2 Lipstick by Urban Decay (£15.00) will give you a similar shade to what Deepika is wearing.
- Tie the look together. Sweep Bobbi Brown’s Shimmer Brick (£32.50) over the cheekbones and spray the face with MAC Fix Plus (£14.50) to set make up in place.
Kareena Kapoor Khan
This next look from Kareena demands attention. She is not afraid to wear a bold red lip, something women often shy away from. Wearing a red lip can be tricky, if the main focus is the lips, the rest of the make up should be kept minimal.
Follow our guide below to see how you too can be as bold as Kareena.
- Moisturise. Kareena has said she uses Clarins Hydra Quench Rich Cream (£34.00) to nourish the skin, especially during winter. To get Kareena’s flawless foundation base, moisturised skin is vital.
- Use a foundation and concealer. Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion make-up (£38.00) gives you a seamless finish like Kareena.
- Use a translucent powder. This will keep shine at bay and keep make-up in place. MAC’s Prep and Prime Translucent Finishing Powder is great for this (£20.00)
- Apply a thin layer of eyeliner. Follow by using two coats of mascara.
- Camouflage your lips with concealer. By doing this you will prevent your lip colour feathering and will make the lipstick colour pop.
- Outline your lips with a lip pencil. Try Glimmersticks Lip Liner in Coral Desire by Avon (£6.00) that gives a lasting result at an affordable price.
- Use a lipstick brush. Apply the lipstick, start from the centre and work your way out. Kareena is using a lip shade similar to YSL Rouge Pur Couture Golden Lustre (£22.50)
- Blusher over the cheekbones. And you’re done!
Now that you have the low down on how to get that perfect Bollywood red carpet makeup look, there’s no excuse not to look red carpet ready!
These Bollywood actresses may have professional makeup artists, but that’s not to mean their looks are impossible to achieve, so get your lipstick ready and roll out the red carpet.