A natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory product, honey is perfect for face masks.
Acne, zits, blemishes, pimples and spots.
They are the bane of our adolescent years that can even trespass into our adult lives.
Many of us find ourselves constantly fighting the urge to pop our spots every morning in the bathroom mirror.
Have you tried every acne cream, wash and scrub under the sun?
Have bought out your local chemists’ acne treatment counter, but nothing at all seems to work?
Well, that’s where we come in. DESIblitz brings you some great tips and natural home remedies that will zap those stingy zits in no time.
1. Neem (Indian Lilac)
Neem is a great natural remedy for many skin problems, including acne, while turmeric is a great antiseptic.
With antimicrobial properties, neem is good for soothing redness and inflammation.
- Add water to neem leaves and turmeric powder to make a paste.
- Apply to the affected area and leave for up to 20 minutes.
- Repeat twice a week.
2. Methi (Fenugreek Leaves)
This well-known herb is anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant and antiseptic.
- Mix leaves with water to make a paste.
- OR grind 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and mix with water.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
Garlic is extremely healthy for your diet, but you can also use it externally because of its antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Crush garlic and mix with water to make a paste.
- Wash off after 5 minutes with water.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar can do wonders for killing off the bacteria that causes acne in the first place.
It will balance the pH of your skin and remove any excess oil.
- Dilute 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts water.
- Apply to your spots using a cotton pad.
- Leave for 10 minutes and then wash your face thoroughly with water.
5. Cinnamon and Honey
Another natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory product, honey is perfect for face masks.
As a spice, cinnamon also has antimicrobial properties to control bacteria levels from escalating.
- Mix 2 tablespoons with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Apply the homemade mask to your face and leave for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash thoroughly.
Try raw, organic honey for better results.
6. Egg Whites
Eggs are a natural source of proteins and vitamins, and if used on the skin, can draw out oil and unclog your pores.
They are anti-inflammatory, so can reduce scars left by spots.
- Take 2 eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
- Whisk the whites until frothy.
- After a few minutes of leaving it to sit, apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave for 10 minutes before washing with water.
7. Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth)
A natural acne treatment, Multani Mitti works great on greasy and oily skin as it absorbs excess oil and unclogs pores, all resulting in a better complexion.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Multani Mitti with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of rose water (you can also add 1 tablespoon of neem powder).
- Smooth out any lumps in the mixture and apply to the face as a mask for 30 minutes before washing with water.
8. Orange Peel
Orange peel contains a lot of vitamin C, which is great for the skin and skin regeneration.
- Grind the peel with water to form a paste.
- Rub onto the skin.
- Rinse after 10 minutes.
An oatmeal and honey mask can do wonders in cleaning up breakouts and redness caused by acne.
- Make one serving of oatmeal (cooked as normal).
- Mix with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Let the mixture cool before applying to the skin.
- Leave for 20 to 30 minutes and rinse off with water.
10. White and Brown Sugar
Sugar is great at unclogging pores and can be used as a natural scrub or exfoliator.
- Take 3-4 tablespoons of white and brown (light or dark) sugar.
- Mix with 2 tablespoons of EITHER raw honey, olive oil, OR water.
- Use as a gentle face scrub as part of your routine.
These are all natural ingredients that you are sure to find around your kitchen and can really work on your acne skin problems.
Other Tips and Tricks to Help Prevent Breakouts
Apart from all of the above natural remedies, some minor lifestyle changes could also greatly improve your skin. These include:
- Don’t touch your face with your hands – this will stop you from scratching itchy spots and causing redness.
- Wash your pillow regularly – this will prevent bacteria that is transferred onto your pillow stay on your skin night after night
- Don’t pop your spots – again, keep away from your pimples are popping them can make the acne worse and even leave scars.
With regular care and attention, and following these natural homemade remedies, your acne skin problem could soon be a thing of the past. Zap!