DESIblitz Job: Science Technician
Website Reeson Education
Science Technician Post
- Based in Newham, East London
- Full time Science Technician Post
- Excellent School with fantastic resources in the Science Department.
About the Science Technician Post in Newham.
This large and hugely popular comprehensive school based in Newham are seeking a Science Technician who is available for a September start post. You will be responsible for providing ongoing support across the Science department and coordinating the use of resources for practical experiments within Science.
About the School looking of a Science Technician:
Being a modern school with large student body and brilliant facilities within the local area, this school are on an envious path of over-achievement with year-on-year progress across all subjects. The school is fully inclusive with history of offering opportunities to their students which are far beyond expectations.
Main Areas of Responsibility for a Science Technician
- To assist and advise teaching staff on the preparation and layout in classrooms for practical exercises, running trials of experiments, demonstrations and helping students with learning activities as appropriate.
- To ensure equipment and materials prepared for lessons are to the specification of the teacher requisitions, including making up special equipment or modifying from existing equipment as necessary from instructions supplied by the science teaching staff.
- In conjunction with the appropriate teachers to advise students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment and on the correct and safe way to carry out learning activities. To also advise staff, as necessary, on Health and Safety issues and on the best way to carry out practical work, new ways of demonstrating experiments, new techniques or procedures available.
- To assist in the safety, repair and general maintenance of all resources, equipment and tools in conjunction with the appropriate line managers. To advise these on any maintenance or inspection needed by the equipment which is beyond postholder’s competence.
- To be responsible for the welfare and care of the plants and animals in the science area and the security of the equipment.
- Ensure understanding of science syllabus and schemes of work in order to prepare for practical lessons adequately.
- To assist with stock keeping, using the computerised stock take database to include chemicals, equipment, textbooks, stationery, etc. and ensuring that appropriate levels of stock are maintained. Carrying out regular stocktaking checks and ordering as necessary.
- To assist in ensuring that all equipment and materials are stored safely and securely, ensuring that they are maintained in good condition, with clear records, and readily available for issue.
- To dispose of used chemicals/hazardous waste in a safe manner as well as ensuring that hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained in the laboratory and preparation areas.
- To undertake basic maintenance and cleaning of equipment and to organise its construction, cleaning, servicing and repair as required in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- To work in close association with other technical staff to assist in keeping areas neat, clean, tidy and in a safe condition in readiness for lessons, as well as cleaning and making safe spills, breakages and related incidents that require careful handling and ensuring.
When you apply with Reeson Education, you get:
- Competitive rates of pay
- Professional support from our team of experienced consultants who offer guidance both pre and post placement
- CPD courses
- Ongoing access to the best and most exclusive future roles in London
REESON Education is London’s Premier Recruitment Agency. Established in 2006 by experienced teachers, education professionals and recruitment specialists, we have built our business and reputation on the cores values of honesty, integrity and excellence.
We care about education and the provision of education and have established an excellent reputation with schools and teachers alike.
At REESON Education we work closely with a large network of Nurseries, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Colleges across London. Our client base provides us with an abundance of available daily supply, long term and permanent opportunities across all age groups in all areas of London.
Please note that all daily/hourly rates quoted are inclusive of holiday pay at 12.07%
Please NoteAt DESIblitz Jobs we strongly believe in helping our candidates find the right job and that everyone should have the same opportunities to find meaningful work. Our ethos is to promote diversity in the workplace. As one of our candidates your background or ethnicity shouldn't have any impact on your ability to apply for this job.