DESIblitz Job: Apprentice Electrical Maintenance Craftsperson
Website Northern Gas
Apprentice Network Maintenance Craftsperson
Electrical & Instrumentation Pathway
Salary From: £21,724 with increases in line with completion of modules
Course Duration: 4 years
We also have other apprenticeships available in the Yorkshire area for different apprenticeships. Other locations are in the south of our network include Pontefract, Leeds and Hull. Please apply on these adverts if you live closer to these locations.
Projected Start Date: 4th September 2023
Training: Travel will be required to the Training Centre (with accommodation provided) in York
We now have 5 opportunities to join us as a Gas Maintenance Electrical apprentice. Across 4 years you will achieve Gas Network Craftsperson Level 3 and will specialise in work relating to electrical and instrumentation activity.
At the end of your apprenticeship, you will be qualified as an Electrical & Instrumentation Technician working across our gas network! The opportunities available may vary and will also depend on the business need in 4 years’ time.
Further post-apprenticeship development opportunities may also be available for high performers!
The day-to-day role as a NGN Engineer within our maintenance team:
• Undertaking maintenance, repair and installation activity on electrical installations and equipment
• Fault finding on electrical systems
• Repair and replacement of components, fittings and fixtures
• Completion of paperwork/systems for results and readings
• Using a wide range of tools and specialist equipment
• Using laptops, tablets and mobile phones to update your work progress
• Working in sometimes remote locations, in all weathers
• Working safely and efficiently often in the public eye
You'll be great if you are naturally curious, a problem-solver, innovative, calm under pressure, customer-focused and team player. We want you to embrace who you are and what makes you 'you'. It is our role to build on your very own natural qualities and provide you with the tools to succeed.
The ask from us:
• You must also be aged 18+ by the start of the programme, due to important health and safety considerations for these roles
• You are comfortable with wearing protective clothing and PPE. Please note we have a ‘clean shaven’ policy for all employees due to important safety requirements and you must comply with this policy if it applies to you.
• You have achieved Maths, English & a Science at Grades 4-9 as these are essential for course entry. We will request to see copies of your GCSE grades should you be selected for a 1st stage interview.
So, who are we? We are.. Northern Gas Networks. We deliver gas to 2.7 million homes and businesses in the North East, Northern Cumbria and much of Yorkshire. That’s around 6.7million individual customers.
We don’t generate or sell the gas, but we transport it to homes and businesses in our region through a vast network of underground pipes. In fact, we own and maintain more than 37,000km of gas pipes – enough to stretch from Leeds to Sydney and back again. We cover large cities like Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, York, Hull, and Bradford, and our work extends to rural areas like North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
Our Values are at the heart of what we do. In addition to your key responsibilities, you will incorporate these into the daily life of your role. We are … Trailblazing, Empowered, Heartfelt, Community Focused, Intellectually Curious and most of all we are Happy!
· 25 days annual leave (plus recognised bank holidays and 2 half days over the Christmas period)
· SSP for first 7 calendar days then occupational sick pay
· A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
· Flexible benefits and salary sacrifice options… from discounts on a variety of UK attractions, gym membership, restaurant discounts, experience days…and exclusive NGN discounts and much more!
· An array of fantastic family- friendly policies such as 6 weeks’ paternity leave (for eligible employees) and 6 months’ full pay for employees on maternity leave (for eligible employees), as well as shared parental leave and many more
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion culture at NGN is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our great team of people. We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and we are committed to delivering our ‘Opportunity Action Plan’ having signed the Social Mobility Pledge campaign, whereby we will establish our business as a ‘force for good’ in the communities that we serve.
Please apply via our online process and ensure to include as much information about yourself that you feel relevant to your application. No need to worry about a CV, instead, please submit a cover letter of no more than 500 words. Please answer the following:
1. Why do you believe you will make a great Gas Engineer particularly as an electrical and instrumentation apprentice?
2. Why do you want to work specifically for Northern Gas Networks?
3. Do you have any qualifications or experience you feel may be relevant to the role or apprenticeship?
4. Where did you hear about the apprenticeship?
Dependant on the volume of applications we may close the advert early however we will keep it open for a minimum of 2 weeks. If you require adjustments to support you throughout the recruitment process, we want to hear about how we can help. Any applicant that requires reasonable adjustments from initial application through to interview are asked to contact the Recruitment Team at (url removed)
Please NoteAt DESIblitz Jobs we strongly believe in helping our candidates find the right job and that everyone should have the same opportunities to find meaningful work. Our ethos is to promote diversity in the workplace. As one of our candidates your background or ethnicity shouldn't have any impact on your ability to apply for this job.