DESIblitz Job: Senior Engineer
Website Murphy Group
J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves lives by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property.
Headquartered in London, we also have a number of related businesses – Ground Engineering; Utility Connections; Murphy Plant; Urban Infrastructure; Murphy Process Engineering; Pipeline Testing Services; Specialist Welding Services; and Electrical Services. We are specialists in delivering pipelines; design; marine; structural steel; tunnelling; fabrication; bridges and piling; and invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant; equipment and facilities.
Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world. Together, we work as ‘One Murphy’ by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
There’s more to Murphy.
Senior Civil Engineer (Water) – London
A fantastic opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join the team at J Murphy & Sons. The successful candidate will contribute to clean & wastewater infrastructure projects in London on the Thames Water AMP7 Project, by providing a cost conscious and safe engineering service to the Project Manager, manage junior engineers and assist the Construction / Project Manager in construction operations. The role will be focused on pressure management & will be based across our sites in North London with at least one day a week at our project office at Maple Lodge (WD3).
What you will be doing
* Supervise assistant and site engineers
* Assist with design schemes
* Take a personal interest in identifying, coaching, and developing key staff
* Monitor the work under their control to ensure that any unsafe work conditions and non-compliance with Company policies and procedures are promptly remedied
* Maintain good working relations with client / designer / Team, together with our supply chain
* Advise engineers on setting out methods and techniques
* Ensure that the drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of the works. Formally request any missing information in sufficient time to allow the programme to proceed without delay
* Communicate with foremen and supervisors to ensure full understanding of information provided
* Mirror the Murphy Values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect in all behaviours.
* Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
Who we’re looking for
* Engineering qualification from a reputable firm
* Previous experience in clean water or wastewater civil engineering projects is essential
* IT Skills: Microsoft Office, Excel and Word proficiency
* Able to articulate engineering concepts verbally to stakeholders and in written communication
* Previous experience as an engineer on a civil engineering project
* Driver’s license
* Safety training IOSSH and/or PTS
* Relevant tickets for site-based work
* Water Hygiene
* Temporary Works Coordinator
* Networks/ Services / Street works experience
About the Project
* Thames Water AMP7 is a 4-year long framework (plus a possible 5 year extension into AMP8)
* Murphy is a Primary Contractor in Lot 5 North London Infrastructure, value £200m
* The framework will consist of the delivery of ECI, detailed design, build, commissioning and handover of water and wastewater infrastructure schemes
* Include individual projects up to £30m (majority will be less than £15m with average value of £5 – 7m)
* Design Partner in place
* Featuring repairs and build of new assets including water treatment plants, pump stations, sewers, pipeline, reservoirs and drainage.
* Charity is at the heart of Murphy values; you will receive 2 days leave per year to donate your time to a charity of your choosing. Many teams choose to support a charity together to positively impact our communities.
* Access to Murphy Wellbeing: you will have access to a host of online tools, mental health trained colleagues, and if needs be external professional support because we understand that work and life offers challenges that sometimes need a little extra support.
* Murphy is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture, making Murphy a great place to work where we can all thrive. You can get involved in numerous events and even join our committee dedicated to continuously nurturing Murphy’s inclusive culture.
What you’ll get in return
* Dedicated and continued investment in your professional development.
* 27 days holiday, plus bank holidays with the option to buy an additional 2 days holiday each year, holidays increase with length of service
* Discretionary annual bonus and annual salary review
* Above market rate contributory pension scheme
* Life assurance, health screening and enhanced sick pay
* Enhanced maternity and paternity pay and a maternity returners bonus
* Extra weeks holiday for all employees getting married and a wedding bonus
* Subsidised canteen facilities in core locations
* Other Murphy benefits include retail discounts and cashback, discounted gym memberships, cycle to work scheme etc
As part of our commitment to being an inclusive employer we are proud to have signed up to #BantheBoxUK and reduce barriers to employment for people with criminal records.
If you think Murphy is the place to help you thrive in a great team dedicated to delivery and engineering excellence, and want to work in an inclusive team culture that rewards performance and drives personal development, apply today.
Please NoteAt DESIblitz Jobs we strongly believe in helping our candidates find the right job and that everyone should have the same opportunities to find meaningful work. Our ethos is to promote diversity in the workplace. As one of our candidates your background or ethnicity shouldn't have any impact on your ability to apply for this job.