DESIblitz Job: Prison Education Administrator
Website Dovetail and Slate
Have you ever considered working… in a prison?
If you would like a unique and challenging role, where you can work as part of a team that genuinely make a difference, enhance the prospects of learners, and ultimately change people’s lives for the better – then this could be the opportunity for you.
Like any educational setting, Prisons come with their challenges. In this environment, learners are locked up for large periods of the day, away from their families and for some, their children. Most are at rock bottom, having to live with the regret of what they have done – education gives them a focus. And hope.
Education provides prisoners with an opportunity to upskill, increasing their future employment prospects which directly reduces the likelihood of reoffending. Many prisoners will arrive without having basic Maths or English skills. Prison Education ensures all learners are put through Functional Skills Maths & English, which then puts them on the pathway to vocational learning courses, such as Carpentry, Bricklaying, Plumbing, Plastering & Tiling, Motor Mechanics, Catering and Horticulture.
Prisons have a dedicated education department, with classrooms and fully functioning workshop’s, where teaching and learning can take place. You will be fully supported by an experienced education department. Training and development opportunities are available.
Details of this position:
The Management Information Systems Co-Ordinator provides administrative and secretarial support to the education provision, within a Category B/C Adult Male Prison. Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate a keen eye for detail and the ability to work within an often-pressurised environment.
The role will support the curriculum management team and tutors in the everyday running of the department, including to develop and maintain an efficient and effective administrative office, administer the processing and handling of student data in order to produce accurate and valid individualised learner record returns, as well as providing some secretarial duties.
• Accurately input and analyse learner data on spreadsheets or databases including the setting up of simple spreadsheets or databases and the provision of accurate data reports.
• Check and ensure that all paperwork and learner records are accurate and audit compliant for processing.
• Typing memos, letters, reports and other communications including drafting replies to general enquiries and taking accurate minutes of meetings.
• Undertake general administrative duties and implement office procedures and processes including but not exclusively filing and organising learner and staff records and ensuring the confidentiality of these.
• To check, process and record all resource orders and help source appropriate suppliers for resources.
• Dealing with telephone calls and visitors, as well as answering general enquiries into the department, liaising with key contracts in a positive and professional manner, providing information as requested and acting as a crucial point of contact.
• Maintain and report staff absence and leave records.
Work schedule: 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Work time: 8:30 – 17:00 Monday to Friday, with a 13:00 finish every other Friday.
Salary scale: £18,696 – £20,835
Holidays: 30 days + bank holidays + up to 5 college closure days
To be considered, suitable candidates will need to meet the following criteria:
- Experience in an Administration or secretarial role
- Experience with processing and data-entry
- Experience using Microsoft Office and highly competent with Excel
- Experience in a similar role in an education setting (desirable)
- Have a calm and patient demeanour
Suitable candidates will need to be enthusiastic, resilient and have a humanistic approach. This role won’t be for everyone, but anyone with a slight interest is encouraged to apply and if suitable, you will have the opportunity to have a discussion with the hiring manager directly over the phone, who can provide more detail and an insight into life working in a prison.
If you are interested in this position, then please apply via the link. Alternatively, you can contact Chris to discuss the role in further detail.
If this vacancy is not of interest to you at this time, but you happen to know someone who might be suitable and interested, then please kindly pass these details on to them.
Dovetail and Slate is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, applicants and clients to share this commitment.
This role may involve work with under 18’s or vulnerable adults. Any appointment will be made subject to strict vetting and screening checks and receipt of a satisfactory enhanced DBS check. Dovetail and Slate ltd acts as an Employment Agency (perm) and an Employment Business (temp/contract).
Please NoteAt DESIblitz Jobs we strongly believe in helping our candidates find the right job and that everyone should have the same opportunities to find meaningful work. Our ethos is to promote diversity in the workplace. As one of our candidates your background or ethnicity shouldn't have any impact on your ability to apply for this job.