The well-known British dish called Shepherd”s Pie is named after the fact that its main ingredient is usually lamb or mutton, and that shepherds traditionally look after sheep. This recipe however, is a meat free recipe of the same dish.
History says that traditionally Shepher How To Get Over Your Ex d”s Pie was served on a Monday, using up the leftover Sunday roast of mutton or lamb. The cold leftover meat was minced and seasoned and topped with mashed potato and browned in the oven. This recipe you can make and serve any day of the week you like and it is meat-free!
The main difference being that a non-meat substitute is used for this particular dish instead of the lamb or mutton. Along with the usual ingredients for Shepherd”s Pie, there is a twist of desi and Mexican flavour in it too.
The recipe uses some key ingredients typically found in UK supermarkets and shops. You can find similar ingredients wherever you are in the world and possibly, even the same products. Below are pictures of these key ingredients. You are welcome to change these to local products as seen fit.
- 454gm pack of Realeat Vegemince* (usually frozen)
- 1 pack of Schwartz Shepherds Pie Mixture
- 1 Vegetarian OXO cube
- Napolina Tomato Puree
- Schwartz Fajita Seasoning
- 2Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic
- 3 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 small onions
- 3 carrots diced
- 3oz peas
Pie Mash Topping
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 2oz grated cheese
- 200ml semi skimmed milk
- 1tsp. margarine
* Other vegetarian mince products maybe used. But taste may vary compared to this particular brand.
- Peel and slice the onions mobile casino into small chunks. Do the same for the garlic cloves into smaller chunks and the ginger.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and put in a pan and water to boil for making the mash.
- In a large pan, pour the Olive Oil and heat up. Add the cumin seeds. Add the onions, garlic and ginger. Fry until light brown.
- Ideally, thaw the Vegemince before cooking, but it can be used from frozen. Add to the pan. Cook until the mince has gone a basic brown colour and contracted.
- Peel and dice the Truck best-driving-school.com certificate program teach students about safety rules on the road. carrots and add to the pan.
- Add the chilli powder to the pan.
- Add 5 squirts of Heinz Tomato Puree online casino with 1 full teaspoon of Schwartz Fajita Seasoning spices. You can add more spices if you would like it spicier.
- In a jug, mix the Schwartz Sheperd”s Pie mixture with the amount of water stated on the packet. Mix in the jug and then pour into the pan, mixing it in with the mince.
- Add the peas to the pan and mix in.
- Add the one cube of Vegetarian OXO by crumbling it into the pan.
- Now add some more water to the pan until the mince is half covered with the water and mixture.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes by stirring it and then let it simmer for about another 10 minutes.
- Take out the potatoes from the boiling water and make the mash potato for the topping with the margarine and milk. Slice the spring onions small and add to the mash. Add the grated cheese to the mash.
- Now pour the pie mixture from the cooking pan into a large rectangular oven proof dish .
- Top the mixture with the mash potato, covering it evenly across.
- Place in a fan assisted oven first heated at 200 Celsius (gas mark 6) then after about 20 minutes reduce to about 170 Celsius (gas mark 3) and slow cook for another 20-30 minutes until potato topping is brown and mixture is bubbling hot.
- Stand in oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on own or with bread and additional steamed vegetables.
As you can see its not very complicated or hugely time consuming to make this popular British dish for vegetarians. Enjoy!
How To Get Over Your Ex