Jodhpur’s Umaid Bhawan Palace, frequented by Hollywood and Bollywood celebs, is named the World’s Best Hotel of 2016 by TripAdvisor.
It was rumoured to host the wedding of Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan.
Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, is named the World’s Best Hotel of 2016 in TripAdvisor’s ‘Travellers’ Choice Awards’.
The dazzling hotel has been given a five out of five bubble rating by the travel site’s users.
It is also the first Indian hotel to take the top spot in the annual list.
Built between 1928 and 1943, the palace is named after Maharaja Umaid Singh, who ruled Jodhpur from 1918 to his death in 1947.
With that in mind, this hotel truly is fit for an Indian royalty, and to stay there would be experiencing majestic luxury.
The hotel’s main structure is a golden-yellow sandstone monument, featuring 347 rooms, and costs an estimated Rs. 11 million (£113,600) to construct.
Not to mention the shiny marble flooring, grand staircases, live peacocks and beautiful palace gardens covering 26 acres!
Not only is this jaw-dropping hotel a favourite for travellers, it is also a hot spot for celebrities.
From Hollywood to Bollywood, the palace has welcomed many famous faces including Shahrukh Khan, Brad Pitt, Madonna, Sting, and Mick Jagger.
British actress and model Elizabeth Hurley famously wedded Arun Nayar (now ex-husband) in Umaid Bhawan Palace in 2007.
The hotel was also rumoured to be the top choice of wedding venue for Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan.
However, to accommodate to their large guest list, the venue was decided for somewhere closer to home.
The palace is still home to the Jodhpur royal family, and includes its own private museum and marbled squash courts.
Guests of the impressive hotel have expressed their satisfaction with their stay on TripAdvisor, calling it ‘a living dream’ and a ‘truly magic and fascinating experience’.
Bani, from Boston, USA, writes:
“A truly memorable experience of a lifetime. I will always remember the place and service.”
Many comment on the sheer beauty of the building and extraordinary architecture that offers an enjoyable stay that is reminiscent of living in a real palace.
Reviews also suggest a standard room costs around Rs. 50,000 (£520) per night.
Another Indian hotel on the 2016 list, the Orange County Resorts Kabini in Karnataka, enters at number 13, just above The Milestone Hotel in London.
The Shinta Mani Resort is a 12-minute walk away from the Angkor National Museum in a luxurious location in the French Quarter.
The Bellevue Syrene overlooks the Gulf of Naples, and just a short walk away from the Sorrento Cathedral and the Museum Correale.
Here is the full list of TripAdvisor’s Top 25 Hotels in the World of 2016:
1. Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur ~ Jodhpur, India
2. Shinta Mani Resort ~ Siem Reap, Cambodia
3. Bellevue Syrene ~ Sorrento, Italy
4. Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa ~ Hanoi, Vietnam
5. Achtis Hotel ~ Afitos, Greece
6. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons ~ Great Milton, United Kingdom
7. Mirihi Island Resort ~ Mirihi, Maldives
8. Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba ~ Palm, Eagle Beach, Aruba
9. Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa ~ Lance aux Epines, Grenada
10. Hotel Ritta Höppner ~ Gramado, Brazil
11. Gili Lankanfushi Maldives ~ Lankanfushi, Maldives
12. Canaves Oia Hotel ~ Oia, Greece
13. Orange County Resorts Kabini ~ Nagarhole National Park, India
14. Hotel Estalagem St Hubertus ~ Gramado, Brazil
15. The Milestone Hotel ~ London, United Kingdom
16. Tokoriki Island Resort ~ Tokoriki Island, Fiji
17. Casa Gangotena ~ Quito, Ecuador
18. The Singular Patagonia ~ Puerto Natales, Chile
19. The Omnia ~ Zermatt, Switzerland
20. J.K. Place Roma ~ Rome, Italy
21. Hotel Abadia Retuerta Le Domaine ~ Sardon de Duero, Spain
22. The Sherry-Netherland Hotel ~ New York City, New York
23. Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens ~ La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
24. Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa ~ Murqquab, United Arab Emirates
25. Baraza Resort & Spa ~ Bwejuu, Tanzania
Take a peek inside the amazing Umaid Bhawan Palace and other hotels in our gallery below!
Images courtesy of Google Maps, Wall Street Journal India, Orange County Resorts Kabini, Bellevue Syrene and Shinta Mani Resort
The second season of ABC’s hit series Quantico starts with a marriage proposal for Alex Parrish and a terrorist attack at the G20 summit in New York.